SEMA - Dodge Challenger SRT10

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Dodge Challenger SRT10 Concept

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Auburn Hills, Mich., Oct 14, 2008 - The opportunity for SRT engineering to "one-up" itself comes to fruition with the 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT10 Concept. Power for the 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT10 Concept comes from the Dodge Viper 8.4-liter, all-aluminum V-10 engine with 600 horsepower and 560 lb. ft. of torque. It's a vehicle that delivers the well-known SRT credo of benchmark performance.

The Dodge Challenger SRT10 Concept includes a fresh coat of Tornado Red paint with a carbon-fiber deck lid and hood. The "shaker hood" is a nostalgic representation of the 1970 HEMI Cuda, giving the 600-hp Viper V-10 engine room to breathe. Brakes have been upgraded and BILSTEIN® shocks at all four corners improve handling balance. The interior boasts sport seats and carbon-fiber accents throughout and, of course, true to the Viper-powered vehicle lineage, a red engine start push-button in the dash.

2. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Would drive vigorously. Needs a two tone paint job to match the carbon fiber stuff, or a stripe along the side...or something.

3. CJPA

CJPA New Member

That's fucking killer, with the exception of the hood not fitting correctly

4. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Too bad it'll never be built.

5. insomnia

insomnia New Member

jesus christ it looks like someone took the lens off the camera, sneezed inside, then continued taking pictures. also that hood is fucking hideous and I'm sick of Dodge throwing a viper engine in everything from a fucking pickup truck to a motorcycle.

but that ACR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> God

6. Original

Original OT Supporter

holy freaking god :eek4:

7. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

HO
    LY
    FU
    CK

8. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

The viper engine with brakes and shocks. Well, they can't be accused of reinventing the wheel.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Have they even started selling the normal Challenger yet?

10. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

I've seen quite a few of them on the streets.

11. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

100% homosexual.

12. RobsMob

RobsMob Guest

Nice idea. I'm with CJPA on the hood though. :ugh:

13. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

14. deusexaethera

Oh. Heh, I haven't seen any near DC. Must be that $3.50 gas.

15. GammaRadiation

It's sad to see that US car manufacturers are running out of new ideas, so they are taking old cars and making them new and "cool."

No thanks. The muscle car era doesnt interest me. Old mustangs and corvettes, cars that can take more than large, banked turns. They are cool to me. Going fast in a straight line...meh.

16. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

still waiting on the hemi cuda repro

17. TriShield

No, quite the opposite.

What is sad is new, nameless cars with no style or history. What's sad is American manufacturers taking years of rich styling heritage and performance and flushing it down the drain.

Manufacturers that know and continue to honor and perfect their heritage do the best. These are the types of cars we want from American automakers and that they never should have stopped building in the first place. Without them these brands are more hollow, more soulless, and more pointless.

We don't need more added to the endless stream of disposable appliances on our roads, we need a honest-to-God cars with passion, a clear identity and history. Like the Challenger.

18. GammaRadiation

Correct, but why do they have to use the same body lines and styling? The corvette has evolved and the GTO has evolved, why cant the charger, challenger, camaro, etc...?

The same goes for the mustang. I am still not a fan of the body. The previous generation and the old first generation pony cars are what I think when I think mustang. Not the weaker, uglier versions in the 70's and 80's and not this new bastardized body line.

Very few companies can take a single bodyline and stick with it for years and years. In fact....Porsche is the only one that has really pulled that off entirely with out hassle. But the old Porsches looked modern for their time anyway.

19. TriShield

The originals are far and away the best looking and defined the style of those cars. They all evolved into really terrible looking cars over time and the style people loved was lost, until now. That's why nobody wanted the GTO, it looks nothing like a GTO. The Corvette has looked the same since the early 1980s.

You can't make a vehicle that doesn't look like it's namesake. The Jeep has looked the same since World War II. You can't make a Beetle that looks nothing like a Beetle. Or a Mini. Or a Fiat 500. Or a Viper. Or a Porsche. Or a HUMMER.

Style is one of the top reasons people love and buy these cars next to performance.

20. deusexaethera

Those new, nameless cars with no style or history are only a problem because they're totally unremarkable in their own right. The original Challenger was remarkable because it was affordable and powerful enough to get young people into a lot of trouble really fast, which is of course what young people tend to like. This is what the Honda Civic has come to represent, though obviously it's not nearly as powerful, but plenty of young people still get themselves into a lot of trouble in their Civics, and that's why it (and the Integra and RSX, by association) has become such an iconic car in the import-enthusiast community. (your and my personal opinions of it, sadly, are not important enough to singlehandedly contradict thousands of Civic fans at a stroke.)

Dodge doesn't need the Challenger or the Charger, nor do Ford and GM need their respective retro-muscle cars. Those cars are earning a living on borrowed fame. (The one notable exception is the Corvette, but that's because it continues to push the envelope of what a big V8 FE/RD coupe can accomplish without costing more than a year's salary.) What Detroit needs are cars that blow the public away, both in terms of style and bang-per-buck, regardless of how they manage to do that; hell, they could roll out a line of sport-wagons for all I care, and they'd still be successful as Audi and Subaru and Holden continue to demonstrate. And it doesn't matter a lick if they have any history behind their names at all; in fact, it would probably help them at this point if they didn't.

You can only remake a classic so many times before people start to wonder when the hell the next good idea is going to come along.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  21. cnred

cnred New Member

Would drive

22. TriShield

They do blow the public away, if they didn't they wouldn't garner the attention or desire that they do.

Good luck coming up with something more remarkable than the Mustang or Corvette. :mamoru:

23. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

:bowrofl: :ugh: @ ghastly, poorly proportioned hood scoop :rofl:

Badass that the V10 fits though :eek3:

24. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

Hate to say it but we also have Michael Bay to thank for putting the new Camaro on the tip of EVERYONE'S tongues.

"Whoa see the new Camaro in Transformers?" Must've heard that for a month straight after that movie. :cool:

25. deusexaethera

If they blow the public away, why are they selling so poorly? I don't know anyone who has a Charger, I don't know anyone who wants a Charger, and I've seen maybe two of them in the past year. The one guy I know who drove one said it was an overpowered grocery-getter with no handling whatsoever.

From what I've heard, the Challenger is better than the Charger, but it's telling that I didn't even know they've been out for months already. I live in close proximity to several million people and I haven't seen a single one yet.

EDIT: In an amusing twist, one of my coworkers just walked up to me and handed me a copy of Road & Track, opened to a page with a picture of the new Hennessy Charger on it. He pointed at it and said "check out that monstrosity."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.