Sellouts

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by heyyou338, Jul 16, 2006.

1. heyyou338

heyyou338 New Member

You know that nub on top of PA? yeah there
    so.... what's your definition for a band selling out?

How is it that i rap culture a small independant maing it to the big is a great achievement while in an indie band signing big is disgraceful?

2. himynameisnate

himynameisnate New Member

sellout - band who changes their music to please more people.
    example: A7X-> early music, real heavy, never sang.
    changes: not nearly as heavy, never screams.
    one bad move by A7X was to go to mtv which makes them more mainstream now :(
    and ill give it to them though that they never scream anymore.. since the vocalist did kind of fuck up his throat so whenever he screams, it starts to bleed. but he sounds all shitty.. like he's singing with something in his mouth

just my opinion though ;)

3. heyyou338

heyyou338 New Member

so they just lightened up a bit. Whos to say that its not the natural evolution of the band, somethign else?

4. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Black Eyed Peas are big sellouts.

5. Ken_C

Ken_C New Member

I agree times a million. Fergie is cool, but shes not the original BEPs style.

6. manc_ill_kid

manc_ill_kid New Member

My mate Robbie, he's in the band called Images of Mathematicians on Postage Stamps, he's always going on about not wanting to sell out.

He reckoned letting other people hear his music was selling out. We got over that quickly

He's still go issues with having a MySpace page, cos that means like anyone can hear his stuff, and if thats not selling out he dunno what is.

Cool name for a band though

7. Enthos

Enthos OT's Resident Who Fan

When the aspect of making money takes control over the music. Like, they stop making music as fun and do it just for the money.
    IE, Switchfoot, their earlier stuff, pre-beautiful letdown, was stinking awesome, I love their earlier stuff more then I do any of their new stuff...it all bleeds together, the earlier stuff did not do that.

8. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Green Day :rolleyes:

Talk about embracing popularity and overexposure.

9. heyyou338

heyyou338 New Member

so then itd be when making music becomes a business and not an art

10. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

Another thing that i would add is when bands release albums because the record companies want them to or they just want to ride their own previous success. As opposed to making new music when they have put together something they feel is right, at the right time, and with everything put together.... now i'm rambling cause i can't concentrate.

11. illmaceyougood

illmaceyougood New Member

Never really listened to them but Sugar Ray is another band that really changed their style.

12. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

Metallica, buggest sellouts ever in my book

13. dims

dims OT Supporter

90% of the time it's when bands to go a bigger record label.

14. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:ugh: wrong, that's what a lot of people like to think though. going to a bigger record label is the natural progression of a band who has the potential to make it big. any band who wouldnt move to a bigger label just because of 'credibility' is quite ridiculous.

for some reason, a lot of music elitists seem to think switching labels is selling out :hsugh:

15. age of quarrel

age of quarrel New Member

selling out if forgetting what you started with, changing morals and values for money or a bigger fan base. has nothing to do with a record label.

16. Mutt

Mutt New Member

My definition of a sell out is when a band changes their image, music, and sound just to appeal to the mainstream and to make more money. Though I am still a big fan, Metallica is an example of selling out. They changed their image, sounds, and music just so they could get into the mainstream. They made an ass load of money also. There are more bands out there, I'm just too tired to talk about them all doing it.

17. Ms. Elbows

Ms. Elbows New Member

I will agree that Metallica is definitely one of the biggest sellouts. Their old shit is the best. They changed just to make everyone else happy and follow what everyone else was doing.

:wtc: the new metallica :wtc:

18. MagicGAT

MagicGAT New Member

A7X was the shit, thier still okay but I was flipping channels and I happen upon an MTV2 commericial that advertized A7X as in the running for best new band...WTF is that! Theyve been around for years! :fawk: MTV teh gay

19. Fiya

Fiya Guest

I thought this would be the first band that would get mentioned in the matter of selling out...

That's pretty typical though.
    One thing though, they didn't change up their style or conform to a bigger audience simply for the money, which is what my definition of selling out would be, they more or less just signed to a big label, and got a lot more attention. They didn't release an album for 3 years and then what they released ended up being pretty pop culture extreme, a total evolution for the band. But I don't know, maybe they just grew up. :dunno:

20. Fiya

Fiya Guest

oh man, totally.
    Look at the Napster BS. :rolleyes:
    It's like, dude, you're already a fucking millionaire, you drive a bentley, your house is 5 times the size of an average home, and you're griping about money lost because people are raping your music off of the internet?? :o

Personally, as a musician myself, I could really give a rats ass whether or not my music gets 'pirated' just because that's just further proof that I got my message across and people really understand where I'm coming from... :hsd:

21. dims

dims OT Supporter

Yeah more people should take the approach that radiohead takes, they dont give a fuck if people download their music. They say if people dont want to buy it, it's not good enough :bowdown:

22. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

hah how'd I know this would turn into a Metallica conversation?

There's a difference between being a rising band with limited exposure (most metal simply because it never gets radio time or big label attention) and wanting to get your shit out there via music downloads. But those fucks have already made it big and still cry about the slightest infringement on their 'musical rights'. Fuck that I say, and fuck Lars.

23. Fiya

Fiya Guest

Fuck Lars Indeed.
    For a metal band, Metalica is nothing but a bunch of twinkle toed fairy fuckers now...

and I still listen to Master of Puppets every now and again :o

24. TheOutlawTorn

TheOutlawTorn New Consequence Machine

Metalica huh? :hsugh:

25. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

When I think of a sellout band, I think of the "Hooker With a Penis" by Tool.