GUN selling your gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dubtastic, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

i have a question regarding selling your firearm to someone else. when my boss sold his car, he had a document typed up that both parties signed that stated the vehicle, vin, etc and that ownership was transferred on that specific date.

is a document like this needed, required, suggested, when selling a firearm to someone else, or is it just as simple as giving them the gun when they hand over the payment?

thx. :)

2. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

found what i was looking for, somewhat:

» source

i still would feel better with some document that states the transfer took place, and it was signed by both parties.

3. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

i wonder what the requirements are in texas? i've never sold one either.

4. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/texas.asp

i am still going to look around and see if i can find more information about person-to-person sales.

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Federal law says a gun cannot be furnished to anyone under the age of 18 or anyone convicted of a felony (or some lesser charges related to family violence).

Beyond that, it varies state to state. You may need a FFL dealer to handle an out of state handgun transfer. Some may require this even for a long gun. i would encourage an inquiry to your state's firearms licensing unit or whatever they call it to be 100%. A call to the local state police barracks or the state Dept of Justice saying you'd like info on completing a private party gun sale in compliance with the law should net you the name and contact number of the right folks to speak with.

That said, my understanding is GA has no requirement for documentation of private party sales as long as the aforementioned federal restrictions are met.

i do personally like to keep a record of sale for myself though. If, forbid, someone ever did something illegal and i got a call asking about the gun, i'd want to have something to show and not just say "Uh..i sold it.". All told though, i will only do a private sale to someone i know, not to Joe off the street.

My state does require paperwork for private handgun transfers. This is the form that needs to be filled out. http://www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/Forms_and_Applications/dps-3-c.pdf
    You can take a look to see what info is useful to keep for your own records and even print it up, blank out the state names and give a copy as a receipt.

6. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

kellyclan > me

this will be a sale between myself and my best friend. although we both trust each other, it is better to be safe than sorry.

i talked to him tonight and we both agree on the paperwork. thanks for posting that pdf. i will modify it for us and use it.

:bigthumb:

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

probably best have that notarized as well.

8. freshie

freshie New Member

can't you and the person buying the gun maybe go to a gun shop and have a 3rd party type sale maybe take place?

9. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

i took the document that kellyclan posted, and created my own version of it, using the ga state codes i found online.

if anyone would have use for it, just let me know. :)

thx again to kc for the help.

10. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

in GA, you don't need any paperwork. in fact, i'd like to eventually own a few firearms off the books of the state of GA and the ATF, just in case they're lying when they say that they don't keep records of what all everyone buys. that is another reason why i'm all for private sales. i've never done one myself, but i did go to macon with my best friend for the private sale of his M1A. within GA, you can even ship your firearms without having to go through an FFL. i think this may also be the case for other states, but i'm not positive.

some people may think i'm being paranoid about the gov't, but then i'm sure that years ago, if you told gun owners that they wouldn't be allowed to have bayonet lugs, collapsible stocks, and flash hiders, they'd think you were crazy.