A&P Selling your art online v. indePrinted update :coold:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TurkeyChicken, Aug 28, 2007.

1. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Alright, development on indePrinted.com has finally started. We're aiming for a November 1st release (to hopefully get in on some of the christmas buying frenzy :x: ).

So far we've got the layout and framework in place. Registering / Logging in is working. Viewing prints is also coming along nicely.

What we hope to have finished by Monday (9/3) are the following:
    - adding prints to the site
    - - Selecting sizes and crop points for the image
    - - Having the server automatically select the sizes and create thumbnails for the piece.
    -Searching for prints (by color, tag, category, etc)

Here's what the layout is looking like so far:
    [​IMG]

We're going to be needing some people to test the site out in the next couple of weeks by uploading prints, etc. Based on interest received when I first mentioned the idea a few months ago, it seems like a lot of you might be interested in leaving your work up for others to buy. If that's the case, that would be awesome :bowdown:

For those of you who don't know what the site's about, here's a brief explanation:

Artists upload photos or put traditional art up on the site, set their prices, and get the money from the sale (minus printing costs, for prints being sold, and a small percentage that goes to the site)

2. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

Cool. Mark me down to upload some pics & help you out.

I like the idea!

3. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

I'm game. Do we just sign up now?

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Not yet, in a few weeks. I'll have another post in here when the time's ready.

I just wanted to give an update because people ask me every once in a while.

Also, I wanted to remind people in case they wanted to go ahead and start touching up a few pics to upload to the site.

We're thinking of accepting only high quality jpgs and Tif files at this point. If we can get our script to turn a psd into a jpeg for thumbnail purposes, we'll also allow that.

Hopefully both the site and OTers can make some bank off of this idea as the site grows :x: :coold:

:cool: Just stay tuned

5. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

im game as well

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'm in if you need more people!

Curious - what format/size/colorspace/etc will you want the images in...

I post process mine completely differently for print than web, using a larger colorspace, sharpening differently and so on, that usually doesn't transfer perfectly to web viewing...

7. s40Strib

s40Strib New Member

i like this....i'd be willing to do it.

8. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I'm definitely in for this :coold:

9. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

nice can't wait :cool:

10. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

We're going to recommend the colorspace be Adobe 1998 or sRGB (whatever random numbers... i can't remember off the top of my head).

When we ship the images off to the printer, they'll find the colorspace and set the printer to that format.

When we create the thumbnails for the web, we'll probably keep whatever colorspace the large format was, but you're not guaranteed the browser will display it properly.

In other words, upload your sharpest piece and it'll print wonderfully, even though the thumbnail might not reflect it on the web (I think safari is the only browser I know of that reads the colorspace of an image and displays the colors correctly)

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

The web lives in sRGB, however, you definitely want the large files to be in AdobeRGB for printing.

I would definitely suggest you set up a script that when creating the thumbnail will be able to convert just the thumb to sRGB for display purposes so that the images look as good as possible. You dont really think people will be into buying the photos if all the thumbs look washed out and have no color do you?

I'm not a coder, but I would think that within the script that is creating the thumb, there should be something you can do to convert the colorspace.

12. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

We're going to dive into that whole script this weekend. We'll definitely see what we can do about that. Even sRGB doesn't show up exactly as it should on the web, which is unfortunate :(

13. Hippy

Hippy New Member

this can replace the ot photo challenges. winner is whoevers shit makes the most bank.

are u allowing nude?

14. trlnlty

trlnlty New Member

wow this is an excellent idea :bowdown:

15. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

cool, I'll definitely be in on this when it's up :cool:

16. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

yeah, we're still trying to figure out the best way to handle this. What I think we'll do is have a "mature" flag that we set when a mod verifies the image (verification process will ensure a few things... 1) the piece isn't a blatant copyright ripoff, 2) someone doesn't try to upload some 800x600 gif they found on the internet somewhere, 3) purge anything that could be considered illegal, 4) modify description tags if necessary, and 5) add the mature flag)

To be able to view items with a mature flag, you'll have to log in and tell us you're over 18. We don't want it showing up in normal searches if you're not logged in so some mom doesn't see her kid looking at the site and freak out when she sees some boobs.

17. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

There are a few sites like it, but they're either not totally dedicated to selling prints / art or they completely suck ass.

I really think we've got something here :x:

18. s40Strib

s40Strib New Member

man this whole idea rocks and i appluad you for doing it!

19. trlnlty

trlnlty New Member

you probably know this already ..

but please add a search function that is able to filter by most popular prints either viewed or bought..

as a consumer thats the most important tool for me :o

20. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

yeah, we're even going to display the most purchased on the home page... but you'll be able to search within tags or artists by most popular as well.

We're building a method where you can choose a color and it will find prints that match that color.

Another really awesome thing we're working on is a way to upload a photo to the site as a customer, we'll determine the main colors in the picture, and display prints that match those colors.

So theoretically what you could do is go into your living room, take a picture of the existing pic, upload it, and it'll show prints that are similar in color to it.

We're planning on getting that done this weekend. :x:

21. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

sounds cool.

22. spizarxxx

spizarxxx DSLR, GSD, DJ CREW & OT's Resident On Air Personal

I want in on this... do you have to pay to put your work up after the test run is done?

23. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

hellz no, it'll be completely free to put your art up. We'll make our money by taking about 15% of the selling price.

Here's how the payment stuff will work using an example 10x20" print that sold for 25

25-3.75 (15% that goes to the site)
    21.25 - 8.00 (estimated printing cost)
    $13.25 goes to you on that single sale alone.

We're going to manage it extremely similar to how google manages adsense. We'll keep track of all the money you've made and at the end of hte month we'll send you a check, assuming you've reached say $100 in sales.

We still need to figure out the whole tax thing, so we might have to hold payments if you've made more than $1,000 until you give us your SSN for a W9 form.

24. s40Strib

s40Strib New Member

updates?

25. joy division

joy division New Member

put some zeros after that $13 and I'm in.