WEB Selling turnkey websites -> your thoughts?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Dec 1, 2009.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I design sites here and there as a side job...and that is fine. But I am constantly coming up with ideas for sites that I would like to persue, but wouldn't have the time to run once they were launched. So, I started thinking about creating the site and selling it as a turnkey product. I know this isn't a new idea or anything...I was just wondering if there was much of a market for something like this. I know most people who buy sites are so particular that it might be tricky because they may like your site, but not the domain, or like the domain but hate the design, etc...

Have you guys ever used sites like www.websitebroker.com or similar to sell a site? Any luck?

I enjoy the creative/design process, but not the managing afterwards...:bigthumb:

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

you will get more, if the site has traffic and proof that the site makes money

3. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

You can try selling "scripts", like the fmyscript guy

4. YourMomOnRyeBun

True...

I was thinking of setting up ____ site, add some "money making links" of some sort and promote it for a short period of time, then try to unload it.

I guess at that point you could show that the site has traffic and potential.

5. YourMomOnRyeBun

I've seen these before. Funny stories... I just can't believe he makes money off that. Hey, if you can make a few $$$...go for it!

6. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

traffic is key, with templates and what not it is easy for anyone to throw up a site, so traffic is the key in selling the domain and design

7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

hey I bought it :p

the idea is basically to make something that a person might think could make them money but that doesn't cost a lot of money for them to think about it. $50 is nothing.

You should build one of those [funny pictures lollerskates] sites. Basically an image gallery with comments and browsing. A few weeks of coding, and you'll have them selling like hotcakes by people who want to be the next icanhazacheeseburger

8. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

people do this often but the amount you get won't be worth it imo.

9. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

I agree with pepsi...although you could probably sell a good looking site based on a good idea for a little you won't get any real offers unless you can get build them up with some traffic/revenue first. Unfortunately not many people will make offers based on potential.

10. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

flippa.com worked well for me.