GUN Selling to a gun shop... how much can I expect?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by zwodubber, Dec 22, 2007.

1. zwodubber

zwodubber New Member

I have a one year old glock 23 I am thinking of selling. It has about 400 rounds through it and is in great condition. I paid 530 for it, any idea what to expect for it? I am planning on switching to a P229 and won't need both guns.

Thanks guys

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Probably not as much as it's worth. Sell it on AR15.com and look for someone locally. My guess is a gun shop would buy it for around $400 and then sell it for $450. You might be able to get rid of it for $450 if you find someone local to buy it.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Dunno, in Southern Oregon you can buy em brand new for $439. I'd say $350 is fair on a used one.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

LOL, not even close to 400, I can almost guarantee it. I'll shit bricks if you can find any shop that'll buy it for that much. Around here expect 30-40%. I would be very surprised if you could even get 300 for it "from a shop". They need much more than that to cover costs.

I bought a Para a while back from a shop for 780. Two weeks later I tried to sell it back to him and he offered me $350, FROM THE EXACT SAME SHOP.

I sold a 3rd gen Glock 22 to a local shop last year for $300 with a Mitch Rosen holster and 4 mags, Mepro nite sites, and I was happy to get that much. They really could care less for less than rare guns like a glock. To them they're a dime a dozen and they'd only be interested if you take a heavy loss. They wouldn't even bat an eye passing on a Glock.

Don't take my word for it, go and see for yourself. And if you want a little more offer it up with mags and holsters and original box.

Keesh is rite, sell it privately and you'll get a whole lot more for it. But then there's that headache of selling to someone you don't know.

Good luck.

5. zwodubber

zwodubber New Member

Thanks guys, I'm going to go around tomorrow and see what kind of offers I get. If I keep getting lowballed I'll hold out for a private sale.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

You could get also do what I did last year when I bought my .357 sig XD and sell a gun AND THEN ask for a discount on a gun they have in their store. They'll probably give you %10 off. I sold them my Kahr K40 to them for $350 with a Galco IWB and 3 mags (bought it for $800) and he took off $55 from a new XD I bought from them.

7. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

See if you can find a gun shop that will sell it on contingency for you. The shop here will do that for something like 10 or 15% of the final price. Could work out pretty well. From what I understand you can also pick the price they list it and the minimum they will take.

8. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

Try selling your car to a new car dealership. Same-same.

9. Werm

Werm Guest

You'll probably get about 1/2 what you paid for it. I wouldn't advise it myself...

10. PWRDbyTRD

PWRDbyTRD Guest

If you're interested in selling your G23 out of state send me a PM along with some pix if you could. I might be interested. If you could include such information as sights, round count, accessories, etc... I'd appreciate it. I have an FFL here that you can ship to and I can get you a signed copy via fax or snail mail.

11. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Very few of the shops around here will pay more than half what a used gun is worth, because they want to mark it high and be able to sell it to the first person that shows interest by offering to knock the price down. Even the decent shops still can't afford to pay you what its worth, because what its worth is what they would sell it for, so to make a profit, they have to give you less.

You will always make more by selling directly to the buyer, and even if you need to transfer through an FFL, you'll still make more than a dealer would give you.