A&P selling prints at art show...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by themolsen, Feb 16, 2009.

1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

a local yoga studio is going to be sponsoring me in the north beaches art walk this Thursday. I want to sell some photos but was just curious about prices...

Most will be matted with a back.... 8x10s and 8x12s. a few won't have backs and a few won't be matted at all.

what kind of prices would you recommend for these? I've never sold any prints before so I really don't know. I was thinking $30-$35 for the ones with backs and $20-$25 for everything else.

I don't want to cheat myself...are those prices too low?

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

sight unseen, i would say its probably too low. but post some images and we can let you know. i recently sold a 13x19 print for $200. and i did it as a deal because they are a local contractor with hope of new work.

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

4. turbodude

dude embed them inthe thread, im lazy and dont want to click

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

lulz. ignore the retarded border/watermark on some of them...that's not in the print version. here are some examples of what I'll be printing:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. turbodude

the bug ones probably wont sell. i think you have them priced decent. maybe a little lighter on the non backed ones, and a bit more for the backing.

8. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

I think your prices are too low...

9. themolsen

themolsen New Member

"the bug ones won't sell" that's what my mom said too the other day when I told her the photos I wanted to sell. oh well...it's part of my style.

so...too high or too low? lulz>?

10. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

[​IMG]

full res :big grin: looks awesome

[​IMG]
    is sweet also, I like the pp style

11. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

I say too low, I would not sell them for less than 50.00 a piece on just the paper

12. turbodude

i would say 49.99 for matted and 24.99 tops for single prints.

and have package deals. 2 for 39.99 prints and 2 for 89.99 matted. 3 print for 54.99 and 3 matted for 129.99.

trust me the .99 suffix really helps in the mind for some reason.

13. mylegacy412

mylegacy412 OT Supporter

those are really good!
    whats the pp process?

14. Asherman

Asherman New Member

Pricing is an important question, but at least where art work is concerned there is no simple answer. What is a piece 'worth'?

For the artist each piece is sorta like a son or daughter. Each piece has a history and expectations that went into its creation. Like parents, we tend to see the good and overlook the kid's failings. Accidents are reinterpreted as the result of sophisticated intent. We profess to love them equally, but usually the latest in the series we regard as 'best'. Sometimes we're right, and sometimes we are wildly wrong. The result is we might as well throw darts at a price list.

The value of art is in the market place. What are folks willing to pay? At one end there are a few people who are willing to pay extravagant sums, and at the other there are hordes who will shell out small change for portraits of Elvis on black velvet. The higher your prices, the fewer serious buyers there are, and the more difficult it is to get them reaching for their pocketbooks. If the price is too low, the market won't value your work so buyers don't buy.

Now, more directly to your question. The prices you mention are probably as good as any suggestions we might have. After all you know better than we do what your market is like, and what your sales goals are now. Pay attention to your customers, especially those who actually buy something, they'll tell you what they like. You have a nice variety of subject matter, so let the buyers tell you which direction to take your product. Family and friends mean well, but they are no substitute for the actual marketplace. If
    nothing sells and your prices are low, then your work/pricing isn't what the market wants. In that case, the implication is that your work needs to change... if sales are important to you. If your sales exceed your expectations, then your prices may be too low and you can ratchet them upward in your next sales campaign. Most likely, your gut instinct will not be too far off the mark.

Even if your work has in it the seeds of greatness, don't expect to receive the sort of sales that we hear collectors and curators are willing to pay for pieces that may be no better than your own. Getting up into those ranks is very tough, and seldom happens over night. First you grow an audience for your work, and that means getting yourself and work in the public-eye. It helps to sell a lot of pieces at steadily increasing prices. Newspaper articles featuring you and your work helps. Finding the right patron to 'sing your song' is a big help. Having your work in exhibitions, even if you don't win, and in serious galleries is a giant step forward. Once you become 'known' and have established a record for sales pricing becomes both easier and less important in that others will do the pricing for you. Once your work is sought after by collectors and curators, auction sales... where those astronomical sales prices often come from... are a good guide. Of course, once you're dead and stop supplying the demand, prices tend to increase if your work remains fashionable. Fashions change often, and important famous artists are forgotten while obscure 'failures' can just as suddenly become marketplace hits.

15. themolsen

themolsen New Member

thanks for the great responses!

I can't give you an answer on the pp, because they're all different. I rarely use any pre-defined actions. (except the "300" preset for LR is used occasionally as a starting point for some PP). I always go LR -> PS CS4

Asherman: killer advice, thanks. This is my first time selling my work so I'll heed your advice

16. themolsen

themolsen New Member

looks like I'll go with

matted with back: $45 or 2/$70
    matted with no back: $35 or 2/$60
    print only: $25 or 2/$40

my only question is won't people just say "I want it without any mat" so they pay less? why would anyone pay $20 more for a matted print when they can go to walmart and get a mat for cheaper?

should I just mat them all?

17. themolsen

themolsen New Member

turns out I have enough mats so no worries

18. mylegacy412

mylegacy412 OT Supporter

some people (and probably most who have extra money to waste on art) dont want to be bothered with matting it themselves, they just want to buy a finished product.

19. themolsen

themolsen New Member

well the show went pretty well. there weren't a lot of people because it got pretty cold tonight. I only sold a few prints (most people had no idea there was even an art walk going on so didn't have cash)... for most of the shots, I just told people to make me an offer based on what I had them priced at and they generally offered $10 or $15 less than what was on the tag. now I know my prices weren't too far off.

BUT I drummed up TONS of business.

band promo shots, yoga studio pics, fashion photo sesh, pictures for some lady's coffee table book --- it's all on the table

here's the thread on the band promo shots http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4113606