GUN Selling a pistol private party

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jayhat, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

What are the rules for selling a pistol private party? I live in Washington btw. Are the rules different if I sell to someone in state or out of state? Do I have to ship through an FFL?

If anyone wants to know I'm selling a Taurus PT1911. I bought it mid June but realized it was just a stupid impluse buy and I ended up charging up a credit card that was previously paid off :o. I already own a pistol so I dont really need another, I just wanted one haha.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Out of state has to go through an FFL, not sure what the Wa state laws are for handgun transfers, federally a FTF instate sale would be legal.

3. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

Thanks for the info man. So it may save me some headache to find someone instate to sell to.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

Washington state is a paperless private sale transfer. You don't have to provide any kind of paper work when doing private sale.

If you are shipping from out of state, the purchasee's FFL may require that the pistol comes from another FFL, which means you will have to pay to have the FFL ship the firearm to his FFL. You must also send the pistol via overnight/next day air.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

To add to this, if the receiving dealer is fine with getting it from an individual, they're probably going to want you to include a photocopy of your DL in the box.

I would also note thata ups ground is legal when going to a dealer but ups policy requires next day air. You make the call. I use ground.

6. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I love Texas. I sold the Block 21 the other day. Met the guy in a parking lot, I checked his ID & CHL just for my satisfaction, he gave me the cash, and we went our separate ways without any government interference, fees, licences, or bureaucratic disdain.