SRS sellers remorse

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Nov 26, 2007.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I sold a car today for $3,300. I bought that car 4 months ago for $2,500. The guy needed a car for his daughter so she can drive to school.

The blue book value on that car was about $3,300-$3,500. But, as some of you may know, nobody actually pays the blue book value for cars. The car had some problems which I didn't tell the buyer about, nothing major though. It was a very reliable vehicle for me.

This next part wasn't planned ahead of time or anything. Keep reading. A guy I work with came over right when the buyer was checking the car out. The guy from work just started playing around like he was another buyer interested in the car. So, I went with it. The real buyer took the car on a test drive and came back. He asked me how much I want for the car. I told him that I am asking $3,300. He offered me $3,000. I turned to my buddy and asked him if he wanted to take the car on a test drive. My buddy said yes and he got in the car and SPEED away. So, while my buddy was taking the car out for a test drive, I was just standing there with the real buyer. I didn't know what else to say, so I just fed him bullshit. I said things like "that guy seems kind of weird, I spoke with him about 2 hours ago and he seemed like he was on drugs", and "I hope I didn't make a mistake by letting him take the car out, I hope he brings it back in one piece." The real buyer said "he just wants to race the thing, nothing else." Anyway, my buddy came back from the test drive and told me that he'll give me $3,200 for the car but he has to go get the money and he'll be right back. I turned to the real buyer and he said he'll do $3,300 cash right now. I turned to my buddy and said "sorry man it's sold he's giving me my asking price." So, I got $3,300 for the car.

The buyer came to look at it at night without even a flashlight, probably because he was coming straight from his sons hockey game. The body on the car had some dents and cracks on the bumpers and the door. They weren't really noticeable because the car is black and this was at night. He'll notice them tomorrow though. His son was also with him. The bottom line here is that the buyer was foolish. I'm sure he hasn't bought too many cars in the past and just generally made a bunch of mistakes. His biggest was coming to look at a black car at night.

This is what bugs me the most. I shouldn't have taken advantage of this buyer. He didn't seem very experienced at buying cars, he was desperate for a vehicle, and his son was even there to watch his father get hustled. Basically I feel like a pig for capitalizing on someone else's ignorance. I made $800 off that car, but at the same time I made the world a little colder. $800, $100 of which I tossed to my buddy for earning me an extra $200 by being a con artist.

How should I feel? Someone break down the reality of the situation because my emotions blind me.

2. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Ignorance has its price my friend. That's the way the world works.

If I knew how to build an entire house I'd do it, but I don't, so I pay someone else to do it for me. Likewise that same builder doesn't know how to program, and his company pays me to do that for them.

As for the $300 you "swindled" from him. Psh, real car dealers are WAY worse. As long as you didn't sell him a car that's gonna fall apart as soon as it's off the driveway I wouldn't feel too bad.

What were the little things you didn't tell him about?

3. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

the odometer mileage is probably off by a little bit because one day it started only working on and off at random times. Probably only off by about 100 miles at the most. Also, the radio reception wasn't that good. Not much else though, I did give him a whole packet of maintenance records that the car has had though.

It's not just the $300. I think his initial offer of $3,000 was high just so he could try and scare off the other buyer. But instead it backfired and he ended up paying even more. It's just that the car wasn't worth even $3,000, but since he was desperate and dumb he made the offer. Even worse, we conned him out of another $300. Maybe car dealers are worse, but that is why I hate car dealers and dealerships, or stealerships as I call them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  4. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Even so it's his responsibility to decide how much he feels comfortable paying for something. If the deal was acceptable to him, then so be it, it's not like he couldn't have walked away.

:hs:

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

There are always 2 parties to a transaction. You are not responsible for the other guys actions or inactions. If it wasn't worth $3300 to him he wouldn't have bought it. PERIOD. In his mind, he may have had to pay a little extra to get what he wanted but we all have to do that from time to time.

IMO, he only offered 3,000 because you were asking 3,300....it's the next "whole step" down not because it wasn't worth it. People like to round off numbers like that and asking prices are always negotiable. If you had started with 3,600 he prolly would have offered 3,500. Next time, don't tell them what the blue book is....let them find out.

Was it wrong to do what you did, no not really. Was it a little sneaky? sure. The funny thing about worth and value is they are not absolute. Your hunk 'o junk might only be worth $2,000 to me. However, it might be just the car the buyer was looking for. He might have been searching for it for awhile and when he saw yours forsale, he jumped. He might have actually been willing to go up to $4,000 because it was really what he wanted. You don't know what else is going on in that guys mind.

So live and learn.....life will go on. Next time if you really want $3,300 for the car say you're asking more and negotiate. It's a less sneaky way but if you're unskilled, perhaps less effective.

6. If I were you I would feel guilty. If the car was worth $3300 then you should have stayed firm not played mind games with you and your buddy. Its pretty fucked up from my view point.

Three people above me say its the way of the world but you can choose not to partake in such shitty dealings with people. The price you asked was not wrong. The way you got the money seems a little fishy. Not like you killed a guy or anything but still.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

The guy still paid the extra 300 bucks without having to sell his sons hockey gear, so its not gonna break his credit line. He was just trying to get a good deal, as were you.

The fact that you feel bad means you have a concience, which is a good thing. Next time try to simply be firm and stand by what you want, rather than resorting to dirty tactics. Cause yeah it was kind of an asshole thing to do, but not exactly something that will affect them in the long run. To them it was clearly worth the extra $300.

8. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Don't guilt yourself, bro. I've been in multiple situations where I ended up with the "shit-end" of the stick because of my ignorance and impatience. He rushed into it, not you.

You took advantage, nothing wrong with that.

9. johan

johan Active Member

If you feel that bad about it, go find the buyer and give him half the difference.

$400.

Do that, and I'll believe that you REALLY felt bad about your action. He'll be blown away by it and you will have turned a loss into a story he'll remember forever.

Otherwise, leave it alone. The buyer is a big boy, he can take care of himself.

10. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

While I hope I never run into anybody like you, ever, and while I would probably treat someone like you badly if I knew what you were, I don't think you are in the wrong. He is the one spending money. The reason he paid too much was not false advertising, which is a different matter; rather, he followed some psychological train and arrived at getting gyped. Which IMO is his own responsibility.

11. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I'm not very phased by it anymore. I felt guilty right after it happened because i've never pulled a stunt like that before and it just didn't seem like the right thing to do. Even if I did feel bad about it, I wouldn't track the guy down to give him $400 back. BUT, if he came back himself and said that he felt he overpaid I would give him $300 back for his original offer of $3000.

I just had a question of morals. According to people on OT, if you don't fight for yourself, you deserve to be beaten. I always thought the opposite. I'm coming around to see that the world just doesn't work that way, especially after an incident like that and OT pointing out that it's actually his fault for overpaying instead of educating himself.

12. Coottie

So you're judgmental attitude towards the OP is because he was so open with you about his deception??

Sad thing is, this kind of tactic is all too common. People "screw over" others all the time and excuse the bad behavior with "it's not personal, it's just business" everyday. I've personally seen more bad behavior justified with this "just business" attitude to make me really cynical.

Part of growing up is learning to not get sucked in by tactics like these and evaluate each opportunity objectively.

Now I'm not one to engage in the tactics of the OP but I don't look down on him for trying them. I've had much worse pulled on me.

13. Coottie

Can I have his $300? :x: Just trying to help you resolve this issue you know.
    Yeah it's sad huh? There are people in the world that will deal fairly and above board with others and when you find them, nurture those relationships. They are worth so much because it's all too common to screw over people.

Working in the oil business as an office landman (someone who puts together oil deals) for 4.5 years, I got to see more than my share of really slimy people. Thankfully the company I worked for had a great rep and we would never screw anyone over....but I got to see first hand how rare that company was.

14. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

I wouldnet feel bad at all.

I would do the same thing. its not my fault the buyer is an idiot

15. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Did the car have any mechanical problems? If not then I don't see the big deal. If you are paying $3300 for a car I doubt you really care if it has a few scratches and dings on it, all that matters is that it runs fine and won't break down in a few weeks or months.

16. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Here's my judgment: he did nothing wrong.

17. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

Well, I wouldn't feel too bad. He did pay 3,300 which is the amount he believes the car is worth. The car is worth 2,500 to you. Different strokes for different folks.

However, I would definitely feel bad because you baited the buyer with your friend. :hs:

18. slikna

slikna Grenade

Well, even though it was his responsibility.... I would feel just how you are feeling if I did it. Just because thats how I am. But really thats the way the world works, if everyone was smart no one would turn a profit.

19. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

fuck that. you made money. if fuktard was too stupid to look up the BB value of the car and came at NIGHT to buy it then fuck him. Dont feel bad for being a capitalist.

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I bought an $8000 car and spent $12000 fixing it and modding it. If the car you sold the guy doesn't need any repairs in the forseeable future, then he made out alright for $3300.

21. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Every person has an inner voice which tells them wether their actions are wrongfull or rightfull, if you feel bad about it, it means that you weren't doing the right thing.

Its not so much the money as is feeling uncomfortable within your soul when you scam someone, that's the real problem.In your heart you knew that car wasn't worth 3k , and you put your friend in a setup to swindle this guy who knew nothing about cars, to get a price even beyond that.

Its wrong to deliberatly setup another person into a disadvanteous position. For instance: You order a kitchen of 25 000 $ , today was supposed to be the day that they'd deliver and install your kitchen, you because of that have demolished your old kitchen and await your new kitchen. . . ' that never arrives ' , you've lost 25k , plus a demolished room + no kitchen. How would that make you feel if it happend to you?

In cases were its vague on wether you did the right or wrong thing, stretch the thing into the bigger scenario like that and think about it.

22. Coottie

I disagree...I (as a buyer) am responsible for seeing through these scams and they are really obvious. It's real simple, when buying something with a negotiable price like a car or a house, I simply look at what it is worth to me. What am I willing to pay for it....then if I can get it for less....YAY ME! It's highly likely the buyer had the same ideas and the only thing the friend did was to expedite the process.

If someone is so swayed by another person being right there, they really should rethink their approach. It's not my job as a seller to look out for the guy buying it. I mean I don't look at his financial statements to determine if he really can afford a $3,000 car or even a $3,300 car. He's responsible for his own actions.

Me personally (as a buyer), if I thoguht the car was only worth $3k, I would have let the other guy have it for the higher price. I don't allow myself to get all emotional about this shit cuz there are millions of used cars for sale. I'll find another one that's in my price range with the features I want somewhere else.
    Bad analogy. You're confusing a change in the contract vs negotiating the contract.

When you buy the kitchen, you agree on an intallation date. If that changes, that's a change in the contract. That's not what occurred here.
    Totally disagree. People need to use adequate analogies or else they can draw incorrect conclusions.

The proper analogy would be the salesman of the kitchen using tactics to get you to pay more money than you "INITIALLY" offered. It doesn't mean you were or were NOT willing to pay more....it's just that you offered price A and through tactics he got you to pay price B. If price B is too high, you should have walked away....if not, buy it for price B or try to negotiate price C.

23. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You completely overlook the factor called 'honesty' in the market. Healthy markets give honest prices for honest products. 300$ might be overbridgeble , but when someone manages to scam you for over 300 000$, id like you to take it up so brave again and say again that you should have seen thru it. With those kind of amounts you'd be probably going out of your mind =\

24. Coottie

Oh come on....seriously now. Honest prices??

Look you seem to be really ignorant of a free market system and how they work. In a free market system, if I try to charge an outrageous amount of money for something, people will buy from my competitors. So in order to sell anything, I'll have to lower my prices to keep up with the competition.

There isn't some "universal price" out there that everyone agrees is fair. Afterall, once you guys agree to a "fair price" I can simply undercut that price and gain market share from you guys. Then you cry and say I'm not playing fair but this isn't tiddlywinks, it's business. You don't like it...compete.

Oh I know...the buyer didn't have an option right?? WRONG. If he was too stupid to exercise his option, that's his problem. If the price of $3,300 was too high for him, he should have walked away. It's really as simple as that.

And noone is going to scam me out of $300,000. With that much money involved, there will be contracts and lawsuits will be field if they don't perform or breach their contract. I've negotiated multi-million dollar oil deals and I've had some of them go south but we never got scammed because we did our due diligence. Yep we were big boys and looked out for our interests. If a seller wanted too much, we'd negotiate or walk away...it's that easy. If they try hard nosed negotiating tactics, sometimes we'd play ball but most times we'd just walk away.

As a seller, I'm not responsible for keeping buyers from making bad decisions. That's their problem.

25. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

life is a business. don't sweat it. maybe you should look into reselling cars if you're this good.