A&P Sell 16-35 to get new one?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LowLikeWhoaF150, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Have a flawless, barely used, 9 month old 16-35L. Purchased new for $1400.

Question is -

16-35L II comes out next month. Would you sell your 16-35 and get the new version or would you keep the old school version? I know some of you other guys here have this lens and might be having the same debate..

Lets discuss, no drama, no bullshit please.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

What is the cost of the new version?

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

have there been any reviews of the new one? its supposed to be better but I would wait to see if the difference is notable first.

4. Personally I'm thinking about selling. I just saw one just as old as mine go for !,075 in only a few days on POTN.

I always see them go for $950, to me that's too low of a price for a lens of this focal range that is usually rarely used. But I guess the anticipation for the new lens is probably a factor. And when the new lens does come out I suspect the market will be flooded with used 16-35's. This will probably make the re-sale value go down and probably stay in the 950 range for the older version. :wtc:

BUT

I don't see too much information about the lens that makes upgrading worth it. :dunno:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=148&modelid=14907

5. joy division

joy division New Member

I would say there hasn't been enough usage of the new one to decide yet? :dunno:

6. Speculation is that i'll be more than the current 16-35L

I think it will be the same price and they will stop production of and discount the current model.

But with the lack of comparison and upgrade information available there's really no way to tell. Maybe it's posted somewhere but I havn't seen anything.

7. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

i'd keep the one you have now. who cares if it isnt II

8. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

i would keep it. No sense in upgrading without any major updates to the product (zoom range / aperture etc)

9. mojito

mojito New Member

insure your current one. when something happens upgrade to the new one. no sense wasting your own money unless you are actually not getting what you need from it.

cir polarizers in 82mm ftl. theres another $200 min for a decent one

10. canonshooter

canonshooter New Member

the best thing about the new one is the corner sharpness. if you dont shoot with a full frame body then its a waste of money to upgrade.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

great review, would read again. lets try seeing samples and comparisons first shall we :o

12. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

canonshooter actually owns canon.

13. joy division

joy division New Member

if it actually has sharp corners...I'll be out another $1500 or whatever it costs.

14. That's the word on the street but I havn't seen it on any canon website or anything like that.
    Can you please post a link to where you found this information?

15. what does warranty not cover? :x:

if I sent it in for warranty and threw in a couple dollars do you think they'd let me upgrade? :hs:

16. sold for almost $1200, dam paypal fees :mad:

:o

Took a $200 loss but oh well, that's what happens when you buy new and sell used.

I never really use this lens, only really use it for indoor car shows and those don't come around very often. 24-70 will work good enough. :dunno:

17. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

particularly if you "go pro" with a full frame. the 24-70 will feel much the same.