MMA Self training?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kimjongil, Dec 28, 2005.

1. kimjongil

kimjongil Guest

You guys think it's worth the time and effort to just try and train myself? I'm talking about for self defense purposes, I don't want to enter tournaments or anything...I'm planning on buying a heavy bag to hit and I'm just going to work on some punch combinations and some kicks. What else do you think I should do?

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

you can try and train yourself but you usually wont become very good without an instructor, or training partners.

not all training is expensive. why not join a boxing gym or something?

3. kimjongil

kimjongil Guest

i've looked for a boxing gym around here before but there's only a few and they seem to be for serious fighters, people who compete on some level...

Guess I could keep looking.

4. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I could train you, but you have to promise you won't question anything I say

actually I can't, and don't be suckered into painting any fences either

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Self training is only going to help condition you.

Its like learning how to pronounce words in a foreign language without learning what they mean.

You need learn what is appropriate to use at a certain point in time.

If you want a training aid, go download Bas Rutten's training videos. They give you an excellent look at the mechanics behind simple striking. It certainly improved my form.

6. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

first off ANYTHING is better than nothing. But without training partners you will have no idea what is effective and what is not, and more importantly the timing/confidence which is everything.

8. Placebo

Placebo New Member

It's better than nothing, but it doesn't even compare to training with others IMO

9. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

It is EXCELLENT exercise and would probably even help you in a street fight as the strength & speed of your punches/kicks would be greatly improved... You would still get slaughtered though if you went up against a trained fighter... Just remember that punching bags don't hit back, so you will learn not defensive skills whatsoever...

I've been working out with a heavy bag for years (punches and knees), and IMHO, it is the best cardio work-out bar none... I run 3+ miles every morning, hit the row machine on my lunch break, lift weights 2x per day, and often hit the exercise bike at night, and still nothing wears me out like a intense heavy bag workout... I'd really like to take some actual kick boxing lessons, but I can't find any gyms in my area that offer anything beyond "cardio kick boxing"...

10. kimjongil

kimjongil Guest

Thanks guys, im going to try and get the bas rutten videos that clean97 mentioned....I think for now I'll look at those videos and work with the bag some...then I'll be in shape when I find a place I'm interested in training at.

11. I've been training alone for the past two weeks. It's not so bad when you've already experienced formal training. I have a heavy bag and plan to get a grappling dummy but for now I use the bag for grappling as well.

I'd suggest taking a few classes first so you learn how to hit the bag, how to shadow box, and also learn the submissions, defenses, escapes, and takedowns.

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I took up a serious interest in Muay Thai a couple years ago... I later rented some movies off Netflix called simply "Muay Thai," which were listed as documentaries... While some of it was documentary, the other two hours was training tips for the basic movements. I decided to make it more than an interest, and actually get into it now that I had a way to learn the basics. I got them down, and just practiced on a punching bag for a while. Then one of my semi-friend's and I became more close buddies and it turned out he had been doing muay thai training for a couple years and was pretty damn good. So he corrected my form on a few things, commended me on most of my movements, and basically taught me what his teacher taught him about techniques, combinations, how to condition and the like.

If you want to do so, I'd say that's a good place to start. Honestly I don't intend on becoming a ring fighter, I just like knowing that I'll be able to defend myself. I don't fight true muay thai style, because since the only instance in which I would need any skill in it is in an uncontrolled fight, I don't use/practice kicks very much. In my opinion kicks should remain in the ring, where there a respect and knowledge of your opponents skill and the power of the art.

On the street or wherever, your opponent likely won't know you know how to kick, and they'll rush at you. If someone rushes at you, throwing a kick does two things: it throws your balance off, making it easy for them to take you down, and it lowers your guard, making it easier for them to strike you.
    Personally I would limit my weapons in a fight to punches (was part of a boxing group as a young teen so I've got a bit of knowledge and a shitload of practice in that area), knees, and elbows if I got a good opportunity to use them.

You implied that you aren't interested in being really "serious" about it, so maybe you're right that lessons aren't right for you. If you have a local website for your town/city where people have classifieds and such, maybe you could make a listing wondering if any kickboxers need a training partner. You could trade your services of holding target pads and punching bags for them giving you lessons :dunno:

13. kimjongil

kimjongil Guest

14. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

dude do it right or don't do it at all. you'll just hurt yourself.

15. kimjongil

kimjongil Guest

But I'm not that interested in being a completely trained fighter. :dunno: Just want to be very profecient at striking...maybe eventually ill be interested in more complete training.

16. Maestro Nobones

well then you have already resolved to be shitty and useless in a fight

17. Maestro Nobones

I think what you're saying is that you wanna look like a cool kung fu dude but not actually have to get punched in the face to earn it.

I have the perfect solution for you: wushu

18. kimjongil

kimjongil Guest

:p

Nah, I just want to be able to knock someone out if neccesary.