SRS Self fulfilling prophecy?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kf4zht, Nov 13, 2007.

1. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Some time ago I hit a downward spiral in life. When I saw it coming I thought it would be a temporary thing and basically shut down my life. Broke up with my GF, dropped out of college, moved home, lost track of most all but my best friends. At one point I came up with the idea to just sell everything I don't need, pack up the car and tour the nation, going places I have always wanted to. Along the way look around for jobs in areas that seem to fit me best.

For a few months I thought I had it beat, but instead it was getting worse. I made quite a bit of cash which helped me ignore it, just worked all the time. Finally it came crashing down again. I realized that I could not stay in the place I was and go anywhere but sideways or down. I got a chance to move back in with a couple good friends and go back to school. When I did I decided to prevent what happened before and set a time frame for me to improve my life. If I hadn't I was going to leave (as per the plan above).

Now every time I see a way to improve myself that requires real work the thought of leaving and being free hangs in the back of my mind. How can I not think about this, but still keep my commitment to myself (which I desperately need)?

2. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

You can't count on luck or prophecy. Being realistic and making common-sense choices will lead you to the right destination. Make sure both are in check at all times.

The "Self-fulfilling prophecy" concept should be used positively, not negatively. Your high-achieving athlete is a good example. They are known to be experts at visualizing success. They have to...their decisions on the field are oftentimes measured in milli-seconds. This mental preparation helps them succeed in a moments notice. You're in good position because you have quite a bit of time to evaluate your life, your options, visualize your success, take action, and self-fulfill. All you gotta do is think realistically, use your common sense, and take action....

At this point you are just wavering. Here is a quote that is often used in the business coaching / self improvement realm...

Action precedes achievement 100% of the time