A&P Self doubt

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by spahndirge, Jul 8, 2008.

1. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

So, got my 40D about a month ago and been looking at a lot of pics and critiques here, one question that is stuck in my head is; do I rely on PP too much, or do I take crappy shots and try and stylise them too much?

I find I'm paying much more attention to composition and trying to improve techniques and technicality since getting the 40D. But there is always the nagging voice in the back of my head wondering if my eye isn't good enough. I'm really engrossed in learning photography and learning all the techniques, but I guess I'm just paranoid that I'll let spend a shitload of money and won't have any good shots I can be happy with.

/emo photographer :)

Here's some of my random (best) photos for C&C taken over the last 2 years
    Could OT critique me as a beginner photographer based on these photos?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These 2 shots were taken with a G9, so PP is overdone to compensate the noise

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More on Flickr

2. geekierthanyou

geekierthanyou Crews: DSLR, Brolie, Classic Car, Gun, Zombie, Pro

I like the gutter shot..

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

looking at your flickr, most of your photos seem well-composed, but several lack subjects

there's never going to be a point in your photography when there isn't room for improvement. post pics here, ask for c&c and shoot things/settings that are outside your comfort zone.

it doesn't look like you rely too much on pp. the pp is overdone a bit on some pics, but it doesn't define your style IMO

4. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

:werd:

I like that one too.

5. spahndirge

I really like it aswell, but I think the the perspective is off, i thought the walls are too off centre:hs:

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

sure, the composition is good and the DOF is neat. but what am I looking at? what's going on in the picture? what's the subject? it needs something else IMO

7. spahndirge

I definitely agree that I lack subjects in my photos, you've really hit the nail on the head. I think I like to take random shots and give them a "mood", which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing.

How should I go about taking shots out of my comfort zone?

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm pretty much a lurker, but I love reading AP, I always think the critiques are spot on.

8. themolsen

themolsen New Member

mood is definitely good...it's very good. the emotive response from seeing a photograph is one of the more important aspects, I think. that being said, your mood, ideally, should come mostly from the contents and composition of the photos. PP can definitely add to the mood, but it seems silly to take a picture of a normal chair, convert it to b&w, add vignetting and noise, darken it a bit and call its mood "dark". sure, you can do that, but...meh.... that's really defeating the great skill of being able to capture a mood and situation in a single shot. that's something that takes lots of practice

what haven't you taken pictures of? do that. what equipment haven't you used? use that. what kind of situations have you not photographed in? go there.

you'll be forced to rethink many of your strategies and have to come up with totally new ways of getting the shots you want/need. in the process, you'll learn A LOT

9. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

your shots are good to GREAT man .. just keep shooting and evolving to find your own style/way .. it'll happen eventually!

fuck the haters!

:)

10. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I certainly hope no one here is hating. I think his shots are awesome too. I really like some of the flower shots. while pictures of flowers can be pretty cliche and ordinary, your PP and DOF made them unique and enjoyable.

see, you have a style. you may have several styles, actually, and that's fine. do what works for you and continue to experiment

11. spahndirge

That's where I really want to get to. I sometimes do take a pic of something and give it a completely different mood in photoshop, which makes me feel like a cheat sometimes.

I understand completely, when I go out of my "safezone", I find after taking a lot of shots, I might only have one or two that I'd be remotely happy with and that disheartens me. It's just practice and more practice.

Cheers man! Thanks :)

It sounds like I'm being a bit impatient! lol. One quick question, I'm always in full manual mode because I want to try and control all settings to educate myself on how different they will affect the shot, but I've read beginners should use aperture and shutter priority, should I stay in manual and keep learning by mistakes or rely on the camera to select the best settings?

Thanks for all the advice guys (themolsen) :wavey: It's really great to get good critique and advice

12. themolsen

themolsen New Member

stay in manual mode if you're able to get something out of it. some people can't even get a decent shot at all in manual mode. i'd recommend using that if you have the time to set the setting for each shot. some situations may require ap or shut priority modes

learning from your mistakes in manual mode > anything else for learning and control

13. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

I'm really digging 1 and 3.

14. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

To be honest, none of them do anything for me except this one, and not just because it's a chick: (see explanation below...)

The others just strike me as the average new DSLR owner out to play with shallow DOF or high noise images during their 'newbie emo creative phototography' phase. Not saying they are bad, and I think we've all gone through that emo phase with photography with varied levels of success, but I just mean to say they aren't like "holy shit, that's never been done before" type images.

I will say that as far as emo creative photos go, they seem well composed and executed from a technical standpoint and they show that with some work and concentration, you probably would be able to take better photos.

Now then, why do I like this seemingly boring image of a chick in a hallway?

It's the only one that immediately 'spoke' to me as having some emotion or something to offer beyond just being a snapshot. The lighting is excellent in this image and highlights the setting and the body language and expression of the model. The light is emphasizing her face and the expression seems to be slight worry or trepidation as she's standing in a hotel hallway. Now don't take this the wrong way if it's your girlfriend, but it's almost like it's a prostitute that doesn't want to go knock on a door, or it's a chick looking to score some drugs or something. Regardless of what is really going on, she seems to have a story and the photo gets my imagination running. The BW photo journalistic style only adds to the impact of the image.

The point is that this image is the only one that is unusual and makes me pause and wonder what is actually happening in the scene. I believe that that is what creative photography is supposed to do, not make the viewer think "wow, cool, it's a shot of a singer/flower/skateboarder/cat". Shots that are immediately obvious aren't as engaging as photos that make a person stop and wonder what is happening. That's the same reason that all great PJ shots are so powerful: they engage the viewer with an event or a piece of history. It's not just a guy standing in front of a tank, and it's not just a photo of Tienanmen Square, it's an image of an event that the viewer can identify with in some visceral way.

I don't know if that helps, and maybe you think I'm putting way too much thought into it, but that's why that one apparently bland image stuck out for me.

15. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

For the record, I only looked at the photos posted in this thread when I wrote that crit and is not a reflection of anything you might have on your Flickr.

16. nine

nine OT Supporter

#3 ftw

17. spahndirge

Thanks for the great critique, totally understand what you're saying. I've never really paid much attention to that photo, but I really like the way it came out and you've made me see how you someone else can interpret it. It's of my girlfriend, we were just walking through a hotel corridor and I just told her to stop and took the shot. It's stuck in my head as that situation, it never occurred to me to try and view it as someone else.

I like taking journalistic style photos, but I haven't got many chances, I'd like to take more of them, but I'm a bit too shy to take photos of strangers in public.

Thanks Jonny, you've opened my eyes :bigthumb:

18. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

Here's a nice write up about photographing strangers..
    http://www.jpgmag.com/stories/3359

keep up the good work! :bigthumb:

btw jpg mag is great.. you should join and submit some photos