GUN self defense question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RedDawg, Sep 2, 2005.

1. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

I've been reading over this forum for the past week or so trying to decide on a good home self defense shotgun. I've narrowed it down to a Mossberg 500 (probably like this one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36793973 ) or a Remington 870 (probably like this one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36760036 or this one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36621548 ). Next week i plan to go to a local gun shop and hold, maybe try out if theres a range, all of these models to see which one i prefer. Now my question is, in case the worst happens and someone breaks into my home ( i live on the 2nd floor of an apartment complex) and i have to use my weapon, if i shoot and take down the intruder but the following shots or the scatter from the buckshot penetrates through my apt. and happens to wound or kill my neighbor will i be going to jail? or would i be ok because i fired in self defense?

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

You would most likely be charged with negligence at the least and if you happen to kill someone, manslaughter or negligent homicide (maybe more depending on the DA and the laws where you live). That's criminal charges only. You can pretty much count on being sued in civil court by whoever you hit and most likely lose that. It is critical you know what you are shooting at and what's behind it.

3. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Depending on the state you are in, the penalty will be harsher as DA's and such will seek harsher penalties. Like ^ said, know whats behind your target, or you may consiter using something a little smaller then 00 buckshot, so it doesnt penetrate the walls as much. Or just not get a home defense gun yet.

IN short, no, you will not get off scott free.

4. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

hmm maybe i'll just get extra deadbolts for now

5. mrbill

mrbill New Member

it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

6. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

For in-home defense, especially with thin walls, go with #8 bird shot. It might make a hole in the wall, but won't be deadly in the next room. And it's still plenty to kill an intruder at the kind of range you'll encounter inside your apartment.

And don't listen to all this crap about how you'll go to jail for manslaughter. As long as you make sure of your target and take reasonable precautions (such as making sure you're not loaded up with 00 buck shot), you'll be ok. Depending on what state you're in, of course.

7. Joe_Cool

PS I say go with the 870. It's a great gun.

8. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

:werd: to what he says in both points.

9. dougfir

dougfir i luf korean grills

I got a mossberg 500 this weekend. Gonna go pick it up in 10 days. I'l let you know how it works out.

At first I thought all I could use it for was to shoot bad guys, but my friend said I can go skeet/trap shooting. Cool!

10. I disagree with #8 birdshot.. sure, it lacks penetration to go through a wall, but might not stop the intruder. #2 or #4 is a better choice.. I think using a shotgun in general is fine, and the chance of hitting a neighbor is slim.

11. Joe_Cool

I've actually shot a wall with #8 shot. It blew a 4" diameter hole clean through a hard plaster wall (both layers) and left what looked like pencil marks on the opposite wall in the next room (we were destroying a run-down house on some land we bought in the middle of nowhere - it was a legal shot. IBotlawyers :rolleyes: ). I'm 100% confident it would kill an attacker. And I've proven experimentally that it's significantly less dangerous on the other side of a wall.