GUN Self Defense question: Shooting someone in the back?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rip The Jacker, May 29, 2009.

1. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

It seems like I've read or heard alot of stories where shooting wasnt justified because the attacker was shot in the back. The question I have is if I am shooting at someone that is in my house and armed, it seems thats generally ok if they're facing me, but what if they turn to run? How do I know they're not just going to regroup, or run into another room for cover? I have a fairly large house, lots of places to run to and hide. Letting them regroup would be a fatal mistake.

I know this varies from state to state, but what are your general thoughts about this?

2. cheesesauce

cheesesauce RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE

I think in those cases its more like an unarmed robber just trying to run away....?

3. In castle law states it doesn't matter. If the guy is in your house, you can shoot him.

4. Rip The Jacker

They havent passed it here yet. When they do our governor will veto it.

5. Rip The Jacker

Wisconsin. One of two states without concealed carry.

6. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

just say you were struggling for control of the gun and had to take the shot and he happened to be in that position :dunno:

7. Rip The Jacker

they'd be able to tell how close he was to me :dunno:

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

Depends too much on specific circumstances to say really.

If they are running towards an obvious exit, then it would be tough to claim SD without a castle law.

If they are simply moving away from you into another part of the house... then that might be a different issue. If other people live in the house then you could reasonably fear for their safety if the assailant is heading in their direction, or you may have reason to believe the assailant has prior knowledge and was heading towards the part of the house where you have unsecured firearms, etc...

9. Rip The Jacker

I think i'm going to delete this thread in a day or two. no need to leave evidence of me trying to figure out how to shoot someone in the back :o

10. Rip The Jacker

This makes sense...I would want to keep them out of the middle of the house basically. I'm really not sure what I would do, I really dont want to shoot someone in the back :hs:

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if he has his back turned to me but hes reaching for a weapon or something then fuck it.

but if hes clearing running out of my house, i wouldnt shoot someone in the back

:dunno: i think its circumstantial.

12. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Agreed, which is why I would most likely shoot an armed intruder whether or not he was facing me. I'm not announcing my presence if he hasn't seen me, thereby giving him the chance to shoot me... and I'm certainly not going to let him run back to reposition himself in a way that allows him to shoot me.

It's just common fucking sense.

13. Sloi

It's a sad state of affairs when you even have to consider such measures. :hs:

14. Rip The Jacker

Yeah...trying to understand when doing something would be morally and legally OK is going to come back and bit me in the ass :wtf:

15. Sloi

I don't think you understand my meaning... I was referring to the deplorable state of things, not your thread.

The fact that you even have to think of deleting these posts for fear that defending yourself in what some consider suspicious circumstances would lead to the discovery of this thread, thereby nullifying your legal defense, is just aweful.

I'm sorry you misunderstood me.

16. Rip The Jacker

No no I totally understood you. I'm agreeing with you. I'm trying to clarify a situation and I have to be concerned how it will look to other people judging me.

17. Sloi

Gotcha. :h5:

18. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

If the person was armed and weapon in hand, I could justify shooting them in the back. The mere fact that they entered my house with a weapon in hand would mean to me that they intended to harm/kill/rape me or my family. You don't need a weapon to steal a TV, or a car, etc.

Assume they are standing in between my room and my child's room. The only possible exit requires passing my child's room. I am not taking the chance that thy might run down the hallway and than duck into my child's room with gun in hand.
    On the other hand, if they were standing in the living room and ran directly to the front door, I might not shoot.

It's circumstantial.

19. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

My CCW instructor brought up this issue in our class. He explained that cops get a bad rap all the time for 'shooting the guy in the back'. He informed us, however, that a good majority of the time, the reason the perp gets shot in the back is because he's doing something he shouldn't, the cop draws his own gun, the perp goes, "Oh shit!", and turns to run away. All the while, he's got his gun pointed behind him firing blindly.

I never really thought about those situations and must admit, it makes sense. Whether the guy is squared up with you or not, he can still shoot at you while he's running away.

IMO, If they're a threat, I'm fucking shooting them, no matter where it hits.

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

saved and forwarded to your local authorities.

21. mstad

mstad New Member

He's probably too busy getting rid of the body to notice that post.

At least, that's what I would be doing.

22. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

two questions.

one. anyone with a conceal carry liscense or whatever?

two. anyone know when you are not allowed to resort to deadly force, or if not, when you ARE allowed to resort to deadly force?

23. mstad

mstad New Member

That is gonna change from state to state.

24. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Lots here have CCH license.

The specifics of when you can and can't act will vary state to state, mostly in language... generally, the spirit of the law is: if you feel (and can subsequently demonstrate) that your life or the life of someone else is in immediate peril, you can use deadly force and probably get away with it.

25. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Shout " HEY MOTHERFUCKER!!!" and when he whirls to see who said plug the fuck out of him? :dunno: