GUN Self defense options for the SO

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 3x, Dec 30, 2009.

1. 3x

3x New Member

So I'm thinking about picking something up for the SO that she can carry with her in that gigantic bag of hers to protect herself in the event she is attacked or whatnot.

I'll probably be training her to use it, so something that isn't ridiculously too expensive so I can buy one for that purpose. I'm not sure how well she'd fare in a panic situation, but I'll do what I can :o

Mace, tazer, things of that nature- brands or kinds you can recommend, preferably something she can engage an attacker from a distance. I hear you guys mention OC and stuff like that every now and then and I have no idea what it is. Care to enlighten?

I'm probably going to go to sleep for the night- Thanks ahead of time :h5:

2. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

OC is Oleoresin Capsicum. Or, more simply, pepper spray. Legal enough in your stated area, effective most of the time if used right (just remember that it's an equal-opportunity device and an area effect weapon all at once). CA has a law restricting pepper spray (or teargas/mace) canisters to a certain size, which I don't remember off hand.

Tazers/Electro-Discharge Control devices are expensive, and while I'm not sure, the company may require their retailers to put a customer through the company's training class prior to purchase.
    The device is $$, and the cartridges are $. Though, it is a higher probability of disabling the assailant, or at least preventing him from continuing...if it's used properly.
    Not sure what the laws are viz Tazer/EDCD, either possession or carry/use.

3. 3x

3x New Member

Thanks for your post- very informative.

A couple more questions for you guys:

I had no idea that tazers that shoot out a cartridge were legal to ordinary citizens, at least in CA. I'm sure they're pretty expensive, though I'm sure the investment would be worth it if I felt like she'd need that sort of protection.

Is OC the most effective form of "spray" available to ordinary citizens? How about different discharge types, or are they all generally a stream of liquid?

Input from an LEO or other operator :)mamoru:) would be greatly appreciated.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

if she has a weapon of some sort in a "gigantic bag" of course the issue is; will she be able to grab it quick enough to use it? if you're gonna pick up a weapon and train her how to use it may i suggest buying a purse with a compartment for a weapon so it's in 1 spot and easy to get to.

ya know how chicks are with finding shit in their purses

5. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Tazer C2's are available @ Frys Electronics. I'd also recommend a 2oz flip top stream can of Fox OC.

There is a guy over on CalGuns selling an X26 taser, but I don't know if that is in your budget or not.

6. oakback

oakback New Member

Also keep in mind, a lot of time what they're after IS the purse. Look into something she can keep on her person.

Are those OC spray keychain things any good? That could buy some time to get the tazer out of the purse.

7. smartypants

smartypants New Member

ASP keychain defender is a good choice for the wife.
    OC spray + kubotan/flail

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

yeah, my wife keeps her j frame in the purse and oc on the keychain. it's potent shit, just not a huge canister but if she needs more than what's in that thing she's probably just screwed.

when she 1st starting cc she put it in her typical woman purse and i tested her 1 day and she had to dig around for the damn thing i just laughed and told her she might as well leave the fucking thing at home. she found a good cc purse to switch to. they actually make some decent looking ones if you look around and are willing to spend a few extra bucks

9. 3x

3x New Member

Great input guys. Whatever it is she'll be using will be indexed for quick access. For now, I think I'll pick up a 2 oz flip top for now and look into the Tazer C2.

Thanks guys!

10. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Just bought my wife a little thing of pepper spray. She has it on her key chain. I would get her a gun, but I don't think she would actually use it if it came down to it.

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

A loaded purse makes for a pretty good weapon itself lol. My wife also carries around one of those "bag" purses, and god only knows what all it contains.

On an average day she'll have a book in it that she is reading. I've also never seen her without her big aluminum knitting needles, as she knits like it's her job or something. Various containers of makeup and lipsticks, a digital camera and her cell phone of course. I have to pick it up and move it every once in a while and I swear the thing weighs 10lbs. Swing that at someone's head and you might just knock them out lol.

12. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Can't go wrong with a C2 if she's willing to carry it and learn to use it. I have one that lives in my truck for potential work assignments in CA. Check your local laws, but at least in CA and OR/WA I've found them to be legal.

13. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

would a taser penetrate say, a thick leather jacket

14. 2slow

2slow Member

Rhodesian Ridgeback..... people will suddenly be walking on the other side of the street ;-)

15. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

This too, I make my wife take Rocko whenever she goes somewhere.

16. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Nice thing about a key chain is that most people have their keys ready to go as they're leaving a store or whatever.. My wife's purse is huge, if she had to dig for that thing she would be screwed.