Selecting an In Dash GPS system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CooperR6, Jan 28, 2009.

1. CooperR6

CooperR6 New Member

Anyone have experience with these? It's hard to find a lot of reviews on these. I've been looking at the Pioneers, Kenwoods, JVC's.

I want to find out if anyone has got anything good or bad to say about specific models. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. cacique78

cacique78 Member

I have a Kenwood dnx-5120 in one car and an avic-d2 on the other. Even though the pioneer is older it's menus are more thought out and easier to use (in my opinion)without having to take your eyes of the road. I can't complain about the Kenwood though because it's a sweet unit and you can customize the hell out of it right out of the box. The newer Pioneers look sweet but I haven't had much time to play with the new avic-f series

I heard they were buggy as hell but I also read that Pioneer released an upgrade for all the bugs.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i second the kenwood. DNX-512 (single DIN flip out) DNX-5120 (double DIN) or the badass DNX-8120(excelon, with bluetooth and iPod control built in)

4. LKJR

LKJR Member

I've got teh Avic-Z2 and can't complain, it had some heat issues but those were solved with the update, only complaint is the database isn't 100% but that is something your going to get with any unit, things change. the graphics on the pioneer were a lot cleaner when I bought mine, compared to the others. But that may have changed too. One upside to some of the others is the usb port that pioneer dosen't have in the z series. But it's a tradeoff for the HDD installed in the headunit.