MMA Seen this movie?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GSPFAN, May 24, 2006.

1. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

So I came accross this movie with my "On Demand" capabilities through the cable provider, it was called;

Ong-Bak

All in Chinese or Japanese (I can't tell the difference sorry) but at least it had subtitles. In the movie this dude has to recover the head of their Idol "Ong-Bak" (kind of looked like Budha) otherwise their village would be cursed. So this young guy was trained by this master of Muay Thai, but told never to use it. of course though, he does use it and DAMN! He plays one badass!!! His technique is phenominal, speed, agility, and quickness is amazing. Just curious if anyone else had seen it and if so what their thoughts were?

For the rest of you who haven't seen it, I would recommend it for sure!

2. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

You really JUST saw that movie?

It was alright. Cheesy as fuck but with some good fighting/stunts. Typcial of most asian movies :o

3. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

yeah I JUST saw the film, sorry I didn't have a chance to pick it up while I was in Asia on tour 2 years ago lol. You say "just" like it is this movie that was a HUGE deal haha.

4. Placebo

Placebo New Member

It was pretty cool.

5. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Well like, get with the times brah

Besides, if you were in Asia you should have seen this a couple years ago because thats when it came out over there :o

j/k ;) :bigthumb:

6. Gomi Bear

Gomi Bear New Member

It was on the big screens here in the US.

I liked how he jumps over cars and shit.:bowdown:

7. Swipe

Swipe New Member

I own it. It's was only like $15 at best buy. The first scene is my favorite with the huge tree and everyone falling off and shit. Awesome.

8. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Didn't he like actually do all that shit too? :coold:

Like the part where he jumps between those 2 sheets of glass :noes: ?

9. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

yea, its from thailand, hence the muay thai. tony jaa does his own stunts. his new one, forgot what its called looks badass too.

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

It's pretty old. His muay thai is pretty :cool:

11. tkluu

tkluu New Member

i laughed when tony jaa kicked all those guys asses at the end and the old man jsut shoots him

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

man you seriously can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Thai? You need to watch more movies or something dude :rofl: Think of it like this, Japanese is more low toned and serious sounding, Chinese dialects are usually more high pitched and drawn, and Thai sounds like a combination of Cantonese and some crazy Indian dialect. That just made me look completely ignorant and racist, but that's a good way to look at it if you're just trying to tell the difference from sound :dunno:

Anyways, yeah Ong-Bak fucking owns. It was the first martial arts movie that I saw that actually depicted fighting in a somewhat realistic manner. Of corse there's the fact that it was practically all striking and most of the stuff Tony Jaa does is master techniques and he doesn't do much of the simple Muay Thai you'd see in the ring, but regardless... Bad ass movie, bad ass stunts, well made.

It's definitely on my list of top martial arts movies ever. Usually it's just the same old kung fu, karate, or american style action where it's the same round house bull shit over and over, people get hit and stand there as a dead target for 10 seconds until the guy hits them again and again. Retarded.

You should also check out Tom Yum Goong, which is another Tony Jaa film with some amazing fight/stunt scenes... this one was a little more cheesey and seemed like there were areas that went longer without action, but still... he did a lot of amazing stuff in that film like go up a huge 5-8 story circular stairwell and kick the crap out of people on each floor in addition to various stunts, all in a single continuous shot... Pretty amazing dedication and ability on his part. There was also another continuous shot for about 5 minutes where he did a specific variation of muay thai that focuses on breaking the joints (elbows and knees) of the opponent in backwards to dislocate them, and he does it to about 200 dudes :rofl: Of course it's outrageous and unrealistic but it's still cool. You can probably find it in the Action or Foreign section at the video store (or if you have netflix get it there).

13. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Skeletor you do these long posts out of nowhere.

14. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

I've seen both of his movies. Fun to watch him fight.

15. Kuet

Kuet New Member

you never heard of it ?? it was pretty big movie in the states and canada .... yea the cool thing is he does all taht shit himself....no wires or ANYTHING .... so you gotta respect his athleticism ... i like how he jumps and elbows the guys top of head....also his knee that hit the guy in the face is pretty awesome ....

16. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

I was amazed by the car jumping and stuff like that, really well done movie, other then the guy who had throat issues and talked with the machine. My wife wasn't excited about it when she was trying to fall asleep and his robot ass is going off on someone lol. For no real voice he is sure long winded lol.

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

i know. Truth is I probably spend more time browsing/posting than most of the postwhores on OT... despite the fact that they have 100k posts, I probably still have 4x as much text output :mamoru:

I guess I just feel like if I don't say everything then there's no point in saying anything :o