SRS Seeing the World After School

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Arnack, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Arnack

Arnack New Member

Hi, I have a question here for you...
    I'm going to be finishing high school soon, and I've decided I really don't want to stay in my town, go to college for 4+years, and get a local job. I want to go out in the world, and I want to make a difference (big statement, eh?). I've thought about teaching English abroad (not sure how that works) in S. Korea or something like that. I've also thought about being some sort of foreign exchange student in Europe (preferably Holland :big grin:). Another thing that has crossed my mind is somehow becoming an AID worker for North Korea- I would love nothing more than to stay in such a place. I'm pretty good with computers, I'm working as a computer technician here in my town at the moment.
    So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this subject that could lend me a few ideas, or further reading? That would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

How about you go get an education and then choose to "save the world?"

How many high powered diplomats, lawyers, and human rights advocates do you see without college and graduate degrees?

3. Arnack

Arnack New Member

That's the plan. That's why I mentioned some sort of foreign exchange program. I just would like some people with experience to comment. By the way, I don't really have interest in "saving the world" or becoming a "diplomat, lawyer, or human rights advocate". Thanks though. :p

4. bad_kitty

bad_kitty New Member

My personal opinion on this is that you should go out and see the world, form yourself further outside of an institution.

Spend a few years doing what you feel you need to do (AID worker etc)

Come home, see what your priorities are and how you want to communicate that into a worthwhile (to you) career.

Then go back to school and get your degree(s). Not only will you have a firm grasp of yourself and what you want to do in life, you may have a better overall experience in school.

Then again what do I know. I went to college right out of high school not really knowing what I wanted out of life and went back again to school at 27 to further my education doing what I want to do and not what I thought I wanted to do.

5. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

I feel bad for people who don't experience college. Yes the going to class and studying part sucks but those were the best years of my life and a lot of my friends say the same. Now I'm talking about the real college experience, moving out of your parents house to a school hours away and meeting new people.

How about go to college for a few semesters then go travel the world / find yourself then decide.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

I would go away to college, then use the college to find a placement in some other country for study abroad, and also use the college to help find a placement for overseas volunteer work.

I understand the allure of leaving high school and "going out in the world" but it kind of fucks with the rest of your life. I quit college and worked for 3 or 4 years, then went back and graduated with a bachelors. Now I'm 40 and I'm easily making 30% less than other people my age in my group doing my same job.

7. Kafka

Kafka New Member

I'd suggest joining the military; your qualifications as a HS graduate will obviously not impress most employers, but I think if you find something you're good at in the military you'll have the chance to go abroad to tons of locales and when you're out, you could maybe join another organization that operates internationally that looks well upon prior military experience, like a mercenary group or the CIA? :dunno: