Seeing Ortho Surgeon Wednesday

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Phx Cobra, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phx Cobra

Phx Cobra OT Supporter

:noes:
    Have a tear in my left knee lateral meniscus. Happened about a year ago snowboarding and hurts ever since, hasn't gotten better.

Hopefully they can tell me something good, or if I need surgery that it won't be too bad.

Hurts most while running, but also on squats and leg extensions.
    Currently can squat 305x5 so it doesn't really hold me back, just hurts all the damn time.

2. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Knee surgeries have come a long way in the last few years. I did a term paper on ACL reconstructions but the meniscus is another animal. If they present surgery as an option and insurance covers it though i'd go for it. Weakness in certain parts of the knee can put strain on the rest. Don't want to blow something else more serious playing sports/lifting down the line.

3. Phx Cobra

Phx Cobra OT Supporter

That is what I am worried about. Everyone says it is never the same after knee surgeries, especially meniscus.
    It hurts now but I can push through it, I don't wanna get surgery and have it feel fine, but not be able to push weight or do solid cardio.

4. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

I just had my lateral meniscus arthroscopically "trimmed" about 7 weeks ago. It feels so much better now. Definitely recommend it. I dealt with that nagging injury for 5 years. I can actually run without pain now. Recovery time is super quick. 4-6 weeks and I was back to 95-98%.

5. Phx Cobra

Phx Cobra OT Supporter

Were you able to walk after or did you need assist? Fuck 4-6weeks???? I dunno if I can stay away from working legs for that long. :wtc:

6. ilduce

ilduce New Member

i was able to walk pretty much right away and was back in the gym soon after I had mine fixed up.

7. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

How'd you injure it?

I've had knee pain in both my knees for like 10 years and physical therapy and orthotics haven't done shit for it.

8. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

I was laid up in bed/on crutches for a day or two after surgery. Limped/hobbled around the next week or so. After that I could basically walk around fine, but getting back that last 5-10% of range of motion took the longest. 4-6 weeks is really not that long, considering the benefits. The key is to make sure you get some good physical therapy in.

Zaffir - I'm not really sure how I injured it. I think a combination of baseball, karate and football injuries over the year. I don't remember one big trauma event. A bunch of little stuff though. If you have insurance, get a referral to an orthopedist and get an MRI. And try barefoot/minimalist running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.