SRS seeing a counselor in the morning.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kcomps, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

I am seeing a counselor in the morning. I am nervous. I am going to get help with family problems, relationship (boyfriend), anger (I can get really heated at times). I am not sure how effective counseling is and I am really hesitant about getting on meds if that is something the counselor wants me to do. I think I have anxiety and maybe depression, its either one or the other but I will leave that up for the doc.

The thing about taking meds is that I dont want to have to rely on them for years or even at all. I feel like I want to be able to control these issues myself. Am I wrong for thinking that?

2. Trickypants

Trickypants OT Supporter

No, you're not wrong for thinking that...

Give the counselor a chance to work on your issues. Be wary though as there are psychiatrists out there who will whip out the prescription pad for any little thing. If that happens I'd find another doctor.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Just go in with an open mind, you have literally nothing to be nervous about. Answer any and all questions he/she has.

4. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

Thank you. i have my appt. this morning at 8 am. I will let you know how it goes.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

Good luck :hs:

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Psychotherapy can be as effective as medication but without side-effects and with better results on the long term. It pretty much depends on the client's contribution and participation though.

7. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

So my doc was a few minutes late which irritated me a bit because I was really nervous. He was a great guy. He talked to me instead of listening me speak and just take notes. We got into it right away and I expressed my concern about medication, and he actually listened. He put me on a med (which i was willing to do after having it explained to me, because he didnt want em taking anything I didnt know anything about). He has me on Lexapro, which are for people who have depression and or anxiety. The pill is great because its something that you use for a few months then get off it. The pill is made to boost my seratonin levels back to normal. I told the doctor about how much ecstacy I have done int he past year and he said it had something to do with my depression and anxiety.

all in all he was a cool guy and I cant wait to see him again. He made me feel comftable and that he really wanted to help.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

Oh wow, yeah. Props for admitting the X because that has a HUGE impact on people in terms of depression. Good luck! Update us after a few weeks when the Lexapro has kicked in.

Don't be alarmed if the first 2 weeks are filled with feeling sick or bad sleeping patterns, it takes a while to kick in, ok?

Do you plan to see him again?

9. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

I'm thinking of getting back into seeing someone like that.

Had it maybe 4 years or so ago and feel the need to talk to someone about my shit again

Never took anything, just talked things through, which really helped me get through a difficult time (major life changes, ditching an old life and starting again with a clean slate). Feel some things are building up again

Sounds like it worked well for you, took me a little time to find someone I was comfortable with, but it sounds like you have found someone who works for you.

10. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

I see the doc again in two weeks. I will check in because I am excited to see what I am like when the Lexapro is working. I am ready for the side effects I looked them over and am ready for whatever comes my way because I want to get better.

My relationship with my boyfriend hasnt been the best for a few months and I am ready to tackle our issues in therapy and also the lexapro will help. It was good to hear that my boyfriend said he would be there for me while i am going through therapy and all that.

I feel amazing right now. I just feel really good about finally getting the help I have needed and am ready to recieve it and take part in.

11. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

glad to hear things went well :wavey:

12. iwishyouwerebeer

Congrats, that all sounds great :)