Security Holes Found In Windows XP Update - BBC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tgaph, Aug 20, 2004.

1. tgaph

tgaph New Member

Friday August 20, 11:36 AM EDT

[font=Verdana,Sans-Serif][/font]
    [font=Verdana,Sans-Serif]LONDON -(Dow Jones)- A key update for Windows XP intended to provide added security for home computer users has a number of holes, the British Broadcasting Corp. reported on its Web site Friday, citing security experts.

The SP2 update plugs a number of loopholes exploited by hackers and virus writers, but two security firms, Secunia and Heise, have found ways around the new measures, the BBC said.

Secunia highlighted a bug in Internet Explorer that could let a malicious Web site plant an arbitrary executable file in a user's startup folder which would run when the system was rebooted.

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) said it was investigating the bug, but did not consider it to be a high risk for customers, the BBC said.

Heise highlighted a problem with SP2's warning to users about the dangers of running untrusted files downloaded from the Internet. It said the system could be subverted so that files could be run without the warning, the BBC said.

BBC Web site: http://www.bbc.co.uk

:eek3:
    [/font]

2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:mamoru: Security is job 1 at Microsoft like Quality is job 1 at Ford :mamoru:

3. Quagmire

Quagmire New Member

4. GH0ST

GH0ST Active Member

Actually, they still haven't actually found a way to USE those techniques...

5. scrotomus

scrotomus you're a scumbag

oh schnap

6. INFERNO2K

INFERNO2K Made in China

Shit happens.

7. jjay

jjay New Member

never saw that one coming...

;)

8. Balddong

Balddong New Member

you got to feel sorry for microsoft thou... everytime they make something new the whole world is always against them trying to look for holes.. no matter how much money you throw into it, microsoft is still run by humans afterall :hs:

9. jjay

jjay New Member

Since when is Bill Gates human?

10. Mugatu

I think they catch a little too much crap for security problems but I don't feel sorry for them one bit - they're the ones making money hand over foot by selling a powerful operating system to people who have no knowledge of computers.

The rapid rise in home computing by non-computer types made them a ton of money - they should bear some of the responsibilty then for stopping security problems caused by these people.

11. Mugatu

Until it's widely reported and MS gets hammered by angry press they don't consider it to be a big problem.

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, i still give credit to MS for actually taking the time to do as much security as they do. And i think that all things considered, given teh "alternative OS" comunitys that constantly try to find loopholes and exploits in XP, MS has done a damn good job of locking their OS down.

13. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest