WEB secure browser based .txt file editor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by conRAD, Oct 24, 2007.

1. conRAD

conRAD New Member

hi there.

I'm working on something for a flash based website. I don't really need to get into specifics on why - but summed up...

I have a text field in flash, that reads a .txt file sitting on the server. I want a way for others, who are given a user/pass, to edit this .txt file through their browsers.

For now, it would just need to overwrite, or add to the existing text file. The text file includes a line that I would not like them to be able to see (a piece of code my action script reads, that if they removed would break the script).

I have no idea how to do this, but it seems simple enough, if only one text file and one user/pass is involved.

What I really eventually need though, is the ability to assign multiple people login/passwords, that only point to one specific text file for each person. i.e. - User A can edit UserA.txt, but not UserB.txt. User B can only edit UserB.txt, and not UserA.txt, etc.

Googled around a bit for a simple solution here, but everything I found seemed to include way too much, more than I need.

If anyone has some tips, or links, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    conRAD

2. VD

VD Active Member

easiest way would probably be a php file with a form on it that writes to that text file.

You could put some pretty crude password protection on it and be fine. :dunno:

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I agree, you need a PHP script that just reads a text file and displays it in a textarea and when you hit submit writes the text area over the file. This would be in a folder on its own like /admin or something that you could .htaccess password protect. Very easy to do with CPanel and have multiple usernames and passwords.

As for hiding the actionscript line. Could that be in a seperate file? Just have your flash app look at both text files instead of one text file?

4. conRAD

conRAD New Member

thanks for the tips guys. gonna bang it out later on and post results :)

5. conRAD

conRAD New Member

got it working. I've got the file with the form that my users are using to update the pages as a secure directory w/ htaccess. PHP Takes the input and updates the txt file. Was much easier than I expected.

Thanks again :)

6. conRAD

conRAD New Member

www.gigglewarriors.com

the "bonus" section has the script in place while im showing it to my guys who are going to be using it. Each member is going to have their own page where they can have a small blog, photo they can upload, and other info.

page is NWS in some areas, its for a counter-strike team. History section is epic :)

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Nice history page :).