Second HDD install problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trez157, Mar 20, 2007.

1. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

Hey all, I am trying to install a secondary SATA drive on my system. Problem is, after everything is plugged in, I go to disk management and it doesnt show up, i cant even run a wizard to detect it. Am I missing something stupid? The drive is a seagate btw, brand new system too.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Does the second drive show up in the BIOS?

3. RiSk

RiSk New Member

Do you have it plugged in? is it installed? is it jumpered correctly? and if all else fails check BIOS and see if the BIOS sees it.

Fuck me... didnt see it was SATA so bork the jumper question :p

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

SATA drives still have jumpers. Some SATA-1 controllers won't detect some SATA-2 drives, so SATA-2 drives have the ability to downgrade themselves via a jumper. It's possible this is what's happening to this guy.

5. trez157

It is not showing up under BIOS at all, which is pissin me off. The only jumper settings it has is to run at 1.5Gbs and 3.0Gbs. It is on the 1.5 one. I tried installing it by itself with the XP disk in, and it still wasnt seen by the computer at all.

6. deusexaethera

Is the SATA controller turned on?

Is the SATA controller also a RAID controller? If it is, you may need to enter a secondary BIOS after the bootup screen so you can tell the RAID controller to make a 1-disk RAID, and then the disk will show up in Windows.

7. Create

Create :free at last:

In XP SP2 there's a little tweak I had to do to get the disk to show up. My SATA disk does not show in BIOS, either.

Open 'Computer Management' (in the 'Administrative Tools' folder). Under 'Storage', select 'Disk Management'. Your SATA disk should show in the top portion of the window. Right-click it and, I forgot the exact text, but it should say something along the lines of 'Make Partition Active'. Select it, go back to 'My computer', chek results, post back here.

If it's not working, check 'Device Manager' to make sure the SATA controller driver is installed and active. Even if it is, and everything works, it may be worth an uninstall/reinstall latest now that you're using the hardware.

8. Create

P.S. It was a frustrating few hours when I installed my first SATA HDD. The fact that it diddn't read in BIOS led me to believe I had a power/jumper/connectivity issue. My SATA drives (on this particular MB) never register in BIOS. They register between IDE detection and IRQ...but the entry point to BIOS is before SATA detection.

9. lemurballs

lemurballs Don't Look Back In Anger

My first sata install stumped me at first....it turned out to be the JUMPERS!

And people say that they dont matter on Satas.....

10. Create

You'd think they'd be vestigial on one drive/cable SATA.

11. deusexaethera

Assuming Master/Slave is the only possible setting, yes. Clearly, there are other settings.

12. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Again deusexaethera says what I was going to say. I had this exact issue with my system; I had to enable JBOD mode for one freaking drive.

13. trez157

im getting nothing, changed some settings and it did nothing. Should I have AHCI on? If so, im fucked, cuz the main drive already has an OS, and I cant do it anymore. How would I slipstream it so that i can reformat the drive and use AHCI?

14. trez157

Im thinking the drive is dead. I unplugged the Raptor and left the Seagate by itself to see if it would boot. It doesnt, the XP disk says there is no drive found. Does that sound reasonable? I mean, it should detect it if it;s the only drive, right?

15. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Can you hear the second drive spin up as you turn the machine on?

16. deusexaethera

A dead drive is always a possibility, but you should at least plug it into another computer and see if it works there first. If it does, then your computer is a pain in the ass; if it doesn't then the drive is almost certainly dead.

17. trez157

nope, even though the vid card fan is loud as fuck, i could hear the raptor fine, but not the seagate.

18. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

XP won't find a SATA drive unless it's being emulated at the BIOS level. Never heard of a drive not showing up in the BIOS and working in XP (assuming you're using the onboard controllers)

19. deusexaethera

Oh, well...compared to a Raptor, any Seagate drive is going to be a pin-drop. So that doesn't mean anything. You're going to have to unscrew the drive and press it against your ear when you turn the computer on. If you can't hear anything, the drive is not working.

20. Create

I'm using a soyo ICH5 MB here at work and that's exacly what happens. No BIOS recognition, must follow my directions above for a usable drive in XP.

I have many other machines here at work or at home, one of which has a matching MB which acts the same way. None of the other machines have this problem, although some MB's require a single disk RAID array to be createed to be able to view or make the drive bootable.

I'm sure I could track down the reason. When things are working, though, additional time is a low priority.

21. deusexaethera

Another option is to buy a NetCell RAID controller, with onboard IDE emulation. That way all of your SATA drives will be accessible without any futzing around in Windows AND Linux.

22. trez157

Im starting to think the drive is dead, I hear nothing when I put it up to my ear. Also, when I dont have it connected, my bootup is much quicker than with it connected. Without it, the comp takes not even 10 seconds to boot up. With it, it takes about a minute, it hangs up during boot. So Im just gonna send it back and see what happens with a newer one. Thanks for the help guys.

23. deusexaethera

Best of luck. Let us know what the solution is.

24. RiSk

RiSk New Member

Also just for shits and giggles check to make sure SATA is enabled in the BIOS thats my last guess

25. trez157

both drives are sata, and no matter which connector i put the raptor in, it reads fine, but the seagate wont read at all. The MB has sata built in, its an intel dg965ss. so yea, i'll let you guys know what happens.