SRS Seconal or sonata for sleep

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by moni, Jul 9, 2009.

1. moni

moni OT Supporter

Been through ambien, seroquel xr, dipthromax, ristoril and lunesta also therapy, diet, excersise melatonin over the counter every fucking thing under the sun. Just had more medical tests done. Only thing I havent had done is a sleep study. I can fall asleep, just can't stay asleep. I am bipolar and think this is the reason. Dr says it is getting dangerous due to the rageful voices.

2. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

This might not be an answer you're looking for, but I figured it was worth a post. I have a friend that had all sorts of sleep problems, tried everything, eventually got addicted to Ambien and some other one. Finally he tried medical marijuana. He say it's the only thing that will put him to sleep (or at least into a state where he can sleep). Fortunatly he's in a state that allows him to have it.

Don't know if you're game for trying that but hey, maybe find a doctor and talk it over with them?

3. Deepsouthwrx

Deepsouthwrx If in doubt, flat out!

having trouble falling asleep is one thing, however not being able to sleep for more than few hours at a time is a problem. I've tried a few of the meds you listed and they put me out for 8-12 hours at a time. If those don't work then you might have a more serious problem than you think.

4. moni

moni OT Supporter

Yeah I think I do and I am thinking my dr does too. Especially the seroquel xr. That shit is supposed to knock your ass out like a mac truck.

Other poster, the other rreason I would be opposed to medicinal MJ is that I just quit smoking smokes. I don't want to smoke anything but if this shit goes on much longer I may fucky be baking pot pot brownies and mixing milkshakes.
    I fell asleep at 11 and it is a bit after 1.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well another question is : did you sleep well before you were taking that godload of medicines?

6. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Are you sure you're bipolar? Shit like that can be secondary to the sleep deprivation.

I can't tell you how many voices I was hearing ... So glad I got a handle on things because I thought I was bound for the fucking loony bin (Not ruling it out tho ...).

Get the sleep study done. If it's narcolepsy, I have assloads of info. It's taken me years to learn about it - they don't exactly hand you a welcome packet when they diagnose you ... :p

7. moni

moni OT Supporter

I haven't slept well since I was a kid. I have kids so had to get up with them at night when they were babies.
    The meds they gave me for the bipolar seem to have stopped all the hyperventilating, mood swings, crying and suicidal thoughts for the most part so I assume that diagnosis was the correct one. At first when I got diagnosed and put on the meds I slept ALOT on the seroqeul. I was having trouble waking up when my kids got back home from school. I got fat, let myself go stc. SInce then got n better meds, lost 60 lbs got a cute hair cut down to a 5/6(still need to lose more weight) got a cute haircut and am otherwise feeling better about myselt. I am on 4 mgs of xanax for anxiety a day.
    I went back to the shrink yesterday he put me on 100 mgs of benadryl and back on max dose of ambien. I slept from a little after 10 til 1. He said if I didn't sleep well again come in today.. I am getting sick of copays, seeing the damn dr, sleepless nights and feeling like a zombie during the day. The rageful voices and short tempered stuff sucks too, some of it could be due to the not smoking but I am pretty chill and not all that upset about that, no withdrawal feelings.

Should I go back to the dr today of just wait til monday? I know doc said come backe but I don't even feel like straighteniing my hair right now.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Are you taking your bipolar medication in the evening? That's usually a bad idea; I know someone who did that for years and couldn't sleep for shit until she started taking it in the morning instead.

Niacin helps with nicotine withdrawal, and recurring nicotine addiction suggests a Niacin deficiency. Niacin is a B vitamin that is critical for maintaining mental stability, interestingly enough. One of its chemical forms is called nicotinic acid, and both it and nicotine can bind to nicotinic receptors in the brain, triggering the same effects -- but only Niacin can actually improve your mental health for more than a few minutes at a time.

I had a Korean friend in college with a congenital inability to absorb Niacin, along with a typically-overbearing Korean father, and when he wasn't at home and forced to eat good food, he'd rebel by eating junk food and his Niacin levels would drop so low he would literally go crazy. Nothing would help, not even anti-psychotic medications, until he'd get arrested and forced to take B-vitamins through an IV. Happened three times that I can recall.

Try taking the maximum dose of a B-vitamin complex every day for a few weeks and see if that helps.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  9. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

That sounds incredibly rough :eek4:

10. moni

moni OT Supporter

Taking my meds as directed, not fucking up.

Just got back from the dr where I went in my PJ's he took one look at me and gave me the holy jesus fuck look. Ot doesn't even have a smiley for the look on his face. Anyway got told to stop taking the sleep stuff they put me on yesterday got put on doxapine and dalmane. Got told not to drive and don't lift anything hot. I had kids young so my kids are older and my mom lives with us so I am set there. If they were younger and my mom weren't around my husband would have to take some time off of work. You know when your dr is telling you not to use an open flame you have problems.
    The thing about the vitamin B reminds me that I had some blood work done and my primary doc wants me on b complex vitamin, probably because I don't eat enough meat.
    I am sitting here in a quiet room because the voices from the tv werent meshing with the images I had in my head, The fucking fox news anchors were like farmers in my head. I told the doctor I am scared I am going to end up in the regular hospital for exhaustion. I know i am not crazy I just need some sleep. He says my bipolar is all under control I just think he would of prefered that I wear matching sleep clothes and brush my hair before I come in next time. I am scared I won't make it therough the weekend. If this shit doesn't work he says next up is halycyon or however the fuck you spell that. How peple use meth for long term I will never know.

11. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Seconal and Sonata are at opposite ends of the sleep medicine spectrum; there's not a licensed doctor on the planet who would consider giving a bipolar patient Seconal for insomnia.

12. silverspade14

silverspade14 New Member

Not to be offensive or anything, you make a lot of posts on OT that start off being helpful and I can tell you know your stuff, but most of the times you never fully explain what you are talking about. I've often seen your posts about health issues that I myself have, wonder when you are going to follow up with some actual information, but you never do. It can be a bit frustrating because it seems like you can help more but for some reason you make mysterious posts and then leave.

13. Deepsouthwrx

Deepsouthwrx If in doubt, flat out!

do you sleep with a fan or anything? i have a white noise machine i always turn on before bed, I love it.

14. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

I'm sorry :dunno:

What else should I say? There's nothing much to be said about my comment; doctors are not going to give out Seconal for insomnia. If you want me to break down and cure his insomnia over the Internet, well, that's not going to happen.

15. silverspade14

silverspade14 New Member

I understand that, but you sometimes just give out statements without explaining the "why" aspect. For instance, why wont a doctor give out Seconal to a bipolar patient for insomnia?

16. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Because it's a drug that depressed people commonly overdose on to committ suicide. It's very dangerous in terms of what it can do to a person when misused.

Anything else?

17. silverspade14

silverspade14 New Member

Nope. And I hope you don't think I hate you or anything, you are very helpful most of the time but sometimes you just leave a cliffhanger for people to sit and ponder, "Well I wonder what that scootin negra was talking about".

18. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

No worries. I'll keep it in mind - I'm just usually posting from my phone so I keep things brief, sometimes to a fault I suppose.

19. silverspade14

silverspade14 New Member

True. Also I'm sure you are probably busy as fuck trying to become a doctor.

20. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I have said this God knows how many times.

The brain is a very delicated balanced electro-chemical based organ that you should not mess with. Second, Anti-depression pills and the like are symptom supressors, not problem solvers. If you don't solve the problem that is the cause of your misery then the problem will never go away.

So in other words its about restoring the balance in your life by tackling the problems. A problem that does not get solved will remain there for all time (just like dirty laundry won't get clean without it being washed),

The problem is that you thought those medicines would solve your problems, in reality they changed the wiring within your brain and now are MESSING UP YOUR MIND and continue to do so. in other words: YOU TAKE TOO MUCH MEDICINE!!!,

Your doctors are at fault too, sparsly such medicines should be given, nowadays they grab zoloft and Xanax and God knows what kind of anti-depressant medicine and let their patients eat it asif it were candy. They gave you much too much.

What you need to do is to 'post the causes of your depression' and problems in here, and together with us find solutions to tackle those problems. Remember all internal mental problems(unless physical such as brain damage) have an exterior cause. They come from the outside into your life, into your mind and cause a problem that you can't deal with, and as such these exterior problems need to be solved. So what is happening in your life that has caused you these feelings of depression and what not?

In the meantime i would advice to practise bhuddism, and to put yourself in a calm enviroment. Sometimes going around the mountain is easier then going over it. So find different ways on how to cope with your problems other then thru pills.

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Are you taking it? Have you been re-tested since then? If you're not taking it, start off taking the maximum dose according to the bottle, because you need to rebuild your stockpile of B-vitamins.

Darketernal, it's not entirely true that all causes of depression are external; if his brain isn't working right, it could misinterpret events that are perfectly normal and acceptable, causing him to become upset about them for no good reason. Obviously that's a situation in which he'd need to talk to a therapist to find out if the therapist thinks he's interpreting the world in a reasonably sane fashion.

If I were that desperate for sleep, I would just go to the hospital and ask them to knock me out with anesthetic for a night. I know they have general anesthesia that basically induces temporary paralysis of the brain and spine, forcing them to shut off whether they want to or not. Even a single night's sleep could work wonders, at least for a while.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  22. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

This is probably the worst idea I've ever heard. :o

Anesthesia != sleep. Not to mention they won't do it for you anyway.

23. moni

moni OT Supporter

:tomcruise:

Update, the doxapine and dalmane are working. My Doc oesn't believe in hispitalizations unless you have already done something to yourself basically but I think had I not made itt through the weekend I was headed that way. I even told him I thought I was going to end up in the medical hospital from exhaustion. There wasn't anything wrong with me other then not sleeping. No stress, no mania, no depression, happy home live, goo friens, places to go feeling good about myself and where I am in life.
    I have gotten great sleep since friday night and feel totally normal again. I did my hair yesterday an went out shopping. I am going out to return some stuff and to stock up on food since we are leaving for the river on Weds with our waverunners. I am making Pat Obriangs Rum Punch while we are out there and life is great again.

For the tool that says I am over medicatd that is between m my doctor, my pharmacist and me. I have had the same dr and pharmacist for over 5 years. If I wanted to get all strung out on pills all I have to do is dive across the border into mexico. I trust my dr not to get me all junkied out or get me so screwed up I am in a hospital detoxing off meds.
    Not everyone can counsel,pray,diet or exersise their way to a great mental health.

If this stops working for some reason the doctor says we will try halcyon next.

Thanks for the support from thousre who get hoe bad thid can be.

24. moni

moni OT Supporter

pk again tomcruise I am not currently depressedl When I gt diagnosed I wasn't depressed. I was hyperventilating everytime I got in a car, cranking my credit cards through the machines at the store with wild abandonement, drinking in excess, writing weird comments on arms with sharpie markers and carving on my arms and calling my husband at work and bitching him outnon stop. There were no other problems in my life to make me act like that.

When I was younger I had several suicide attempts, the best one was I was wild and out of control so my parents took my makeup and curling iron away so I couldn't go out. Well holy shit if I can't go out and party I may as well od. Spent a week in the hospital over that one. A few more pill evens after that. Last one was elavil and booze because my husband wouldn't come home because he was tired of me blaming everything on him and my erratic behaviorl Though most of this I wasn't depressed I was what I thought was hyper but I guess is considerd manic and was extremely impulsive if I didn't get my way. I was paranoid of things, easily agitated combative and loud and probably rude pretty often.

It took awhile to get my meds right but they are working for ME, maybe some other person you know can talk through their problems and be ok. I have lost track how many counselors I have seen over the years some good some clueless. No offense to OT But I don't really feel like working my "problems" out here in the asylum with you all.. Life isn't perfect here, I wisj I had more money but it is pretty good as long as I get more then 2 hours of sleep.