SEC and buffer question

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by n2_space, Jun 5, 2003.

1. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Ok, going to be a bit of a n00b on this :o

Just how much of the SEC should you put on? I used maybe two quarter size drops for doing my hood. Also, are you suppose to really work it in a lot then wipe of with a MF? I put it on just rubbing it on and then buffing out with a MF, then immediately did the same with the S100 wax.

I want to get an random orbital buffer to make things easier, so would I then use that with an applicator pad to apply SEC and then buff out with a MF or terry cloth pad, then apply the S100 wax with the applicator it came with, and then buff out with terry cloth bonnet? :confused: Was just going to get a 10" Sears random orbital buffer they have on sale for $30.

In any case it will be for next time, I just waxed this weekend, and it came out nice, but want to make sure I am doing it right, and perhaps make it easier with the buffer. :)

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You're using the correct amount of polish. When you first start doing it, it almost seems like too little, doesn't it? Don't worry, you're doing it right. :)

As far as the buffer goes, I'm not really sure about the appliction and buffing process. I don't have a buffer myself, and don't really see a need to get one unless I start my own business or something and will be doing a lot of cars. Perhaps someone else with buffer experience can help out. :dunno:

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you want to use a buffer, a Porter Cable is your best bet. Not cheap, about $150 or so with the proper counter weights and a few pads. Definitely heavy duty though.

You should use a foam finishing pad if you use a S100 SEC with a buffer.

4. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

:eek3: Thanks for for the advice :)

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

If you want a Porter Cable...you can go get one at Lowes for $109. I jsut bought mine there this weekend, so i know the price is still good. The model they carry is the 7336SP, its the Sander and Polisher model (thus the "SP" designation in the model number, clever). It comes with the 6" back plate for sanding, and the 5" foam polishing head. THe nice thing about the 7336SP is that it comes with the 6" counterweight, already installed. So when you get your 6" pads, from somewhere like CMA, you dont have to spend extra on the counterweights.
    So, get your PC at Lowes for $110
    get your 6" foam polishing kit at CMA for $40
    And then maybe a couple of Microfiber bonnets for another $10

So for $160, you have damn near as close to a profesional orbital buffer setup as your going to get! :bigthumb: