Searching for a Turntable

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jlehrfeld, Jun 24, 2005.

1. jlehrfeld

jlehrfeld New Member

Hey all,

I don't really know where to turn to ask this, so I thought I'd come to the biggest forum site on the net. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a turntable -- nothing fancy, really -- but it absolutely must have a built-in preamp and it must be fully mechanical. I don't want anything moving by itself except for the record when I give it the juice. I am a DJ at my college's radio station and I really like being able to put the needle pretty much wherever I want to on the record, so that's not really something I'm willing to consider. Anyway, keeping in mind the non-automatic nature, and the built-in preamp, what models would you guys suggest for me? I want a trusted brand, and preferably something in the $150-200 price range. Oh yeah, and a dust cover would definitely be a plus. And a headphone jack. I don't really know what comes standard with turntables, but those four things I really want, and everything else is just extra. Two-speed is fine. No crazy-fancy, high-tech DJ stuff. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

2. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

I can get some in that price range, but they are usually semi-auto (arm returns at the end of the LP). As for the built in preamp - that is a really tough call. I assume you want a TT than can use standard lin input, is that correct? If that is the case, you might have better luck getting a fair quality TT and an inexpensive phono step-up amp. I think Radio Shack has them for $20-30 (may be wrong).... Also, look on eBay. You can usually find a used Dual or Thorens in that price range

3. jlehrfeld

jlehrfeld New Member

I really don't know what the whole standard lin input thing means. What are the alternatives? The arm returning at the end of the LP is fine, though. The thing is, I don't really know reliable brands other than Sony, RCA, Kenwood, etc., and they don't really have what I want.

4. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

well, a phonograph has a lower level of output than a CD PLayer or other device that uses a standard line input. So, when you see a phono input on a receiver/preamp it is either a more sensitive input, or has a built in step-up amplifier to bring the level up to usable for amplification. PLug a TT into a standar line input, and you will barely hear it. If your amp/receiver does not have an input labeled speciifcally for a phono, then you need an external step-up amp, or what is known as a phono pre-amp. Inexpensive ones can still be found at radio shack. WIth that, you can plug yout TT into just about any auxillary input.

This is a cheap phono preamp, but will do the job: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5783970833&rd=1

Technics is still making a few tables in the lower price range. Again, look at places like eBay, Hawthorne Stereo, Echo Audio, and Audiogon for some used tables. And, like I said in another thread, get the best cartridge/stylus you can afford. Its better to spend $150 ont he table and $50 on the cartridge, than $190 on the table and put a cheap cartridge on it. The stylus determines most of what you hear - bad stylus will ride higher on the groove, picking up more surface noise. Also, a bad stylus typically has a larger diamond pickup, which does more damage to your LP every time you play it.

this is a steal: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5783946206&rd=1

and this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5784797339&rd=1

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005