Search Engine Optimisation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Aug 23, 2003.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Many web development firms claim they can optimise your site for search engines, specifically Google. Does anyone have experience with this? What secrets are these people using that the general public doesn't know about? Or, is it just a bunch of marketing bullshit?

2. Nocera

Nocera ...

Most are shady characters... I've talked to dozens over the phone before. For some reason, they always end up hanging up on me :dunno:

Methods they use vary. For legal optimization methods (meaning pretty much the techniques described on Google's website), any one can do it. Other shady characters use doorway pages, cloaking, multiple domain names, and unethical link "campaigns" if you can even call it that. Their "guarantees" are pathetic and full of loopholes that could end up putting you in a really bad situation if you decide to stop using their services.

I optimized my company's site over an 8-month period. We had a 30-40% increase in traffic over that time. However, we now focus a lot on PPC campaigns at my bosses' request.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/seo.html

3. CompiledMonkey

:rofl:

Last night I spent a couple of hours searching the web and found some decent information. I read up on how Google actually works and think I've come up with good META tags plus using more keywords in my h1 tags, actually using name attributes for tags (again, with keywords), and just minimizing fluff on our initial page.

Do you think having the index page redirect (using META tags) hurts a pagerank? For our site we're using Tomcat and we haven't setup the connectors yet to have Apache and Tomcat talk, so until we get that setup we're going to redirect www.isy.vcu.edu to http://www.isy.vcu.edu:8080. I didn't see much on redirecting last night.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Last year durring work I went to an entire 1/2 day conference on how Google works. It was all very intersting, but it could basicaly be summed up pretty easily.

If you have a good site, with lots of content, and you update it regularly google will index you highly. I am not even sure if META tags are used my google anymore.

5. CompiledMonkey

To sum up my reading, you basically need to do a couple of things to improve the way a bot sees your site:

* Research your keywords, know how many people are trying to use your keywords. For example, if you're about search engine optimisation, use "SEO" instead of "search engine optimisation" (of course you'd use both).
    * Implementing your keywords in your title
    * Using variations of your keywords in your meta tag for description.
    * Making sure your alt tags carry some kind of keyword.
    * Making sure every tag you can name, is named with a keyword (summaries for tables, etc).
    * Using Bold and Italics on some of my keywords that are in the body of the site.
    * Using H1, H2, H3 tags for your title/subtitles/keywords text instead of images. Images look nice, but these bots can't see them.

6. Nocera

Nocera ...

That's about right... Keyword/keyphrase research is most important. Use WordTracker or Overture's Suggestion Tool to do your research. Link campaigning is also very important but they need to be high quality links. 1000's of junk links mean nothing. I target reciprocal links with a page rank of at least 3.

7. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

It's kinda funny how people think meta tags still do anything. They really don't. By the way, I run a webdevelopment company and we offer search engine placement, optimization (you spelled it wrong alot) as well as sponsored results. If you want to be in the search engines get high up you really should look into OVERTURE. Overture is the corporation that runs all of the major search engines. All the people you see on the top of every search results page is because they went to Overture. Overture.com is the website. There are only a few secrets to the search engines and unfortunately I can only reveal one of them due to the fact that our clients pay good money for the concepts we use in search engines. Your best bet is to do some research before paying anyone. Also consider the fact that if you want to be placed well, you are going to have to pay some money and work on a campaign plan. Good luck, reply if you need anything else.