Search Engine Optimazation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by percent, Aug 12, 2004.

1. percent

percent deluded

So SEO has become more and more important and most people in my office do know everything they should be doing with it when putting a site together.

So i was asked to write up a little document on it. It is good reference for everyone so i though i would share it, if everyone would do me the favor of checking it over and telling me if there is anything you would change about it.

Thanks

(note: it will only be used for internal reference among programmers/developers)

Site Optimization

Things to do:

• Ensure <TITLE> tags for each page on the site are unique and contain major keywords. Titles are normally the first part of a page that is seen by a search engine or a user coming from a search engine.
    • Ensure meta tags (both keyword and description) contain relevant and sufficient content and keywords. Meta tags are important, but not the bottom line. The meta tag should reflect the actual content of the site as closely as possible. In order of importance more weight should be placed on the description tag than the keyword tag.
    • Use CSS style sheets and <H1>, <H2> tags for headers and subheaders. This organizes your content so search engines and users can better comprehend a page.
    • Include as much relevant content (especially plain text and bulleted lists) as possible on the website. The amount of quality content on the page is quite possible the single most influential factor in any site’s optimization. Keywords should appear as much as possible on the pages themselves, not just in meta tags. But content should not be overly repetitive.
    • Make sure that all pages in the site are linked from at least one static <a href=”???”> link (as opposed to links generated by javascript, images maps, etc)
    • Large amounts of client side code do not help a site’s search engine rankings. The closer to the top of the file that the content of a page is, the better. But, realistically, code is necessary on many pages and sometimes cannot be relocated or deleted. Modify pages so that CSS code is linked using an external CSS file. <LINK REL="stylesheet" HREF="mystylesheet.css" TYPE="text/css">
    • Use the ALT property to give a description of images especially if the image contains text. ALT descriptions of images should be relevant and concise. Random keyword spamming and gross repetition will only hurt a web page.
    • If possible, have outside websites link to the website in question (the more popular the outside linking website, the better). Link farms or large sites that allow users to submit their website links in hope of generating link building do not work and are frowned upon by search engines.
    • Submit website to search engines
    • The site as a whole should be visually appealing as well as programmatically sound. A site will not become popular if the design does not appeal to visitors.

Things to not do:
    • Spam keywords, obsessively repeat, use invisible text, or otherwise try to trick the search engine into thinking you site is better than it is. Time spent on actually making the site better is much more productive than time spent on spamming.
    • Frames – search engines do not like frames. People do not like frames.
    • Redirects – bouncing visitors from page to page before coming to your home page will hurt your rankings. Javascript redirects can be missed by search engine and cause you page to not be indexed.
    • Long URLs – URLs should be a short as possible. Page names should be related to the content or function of the page.

2. percent

percent deluded

wow...nobody else here knows anything about SEO?

3. Insey

Insey I can feel my cunt contracting

I've been trying to find someone who knows something about SEO but to no avail. Right now searching for my domain on Google will put it on page 3 of results, so it seems the only solution is to pay for a spot on Google AdWords. When it comes to Google, from what I understand, they consider backlinking a determining factor in your position.

4. percent

percent deluded

Yes, backlinking is one of the terms for it. Basically, part (a large part) of your google rankings are based on the popularity of you site. They determine this by how many other site links to your site, with more popular sites linking to you producing greater popularity for you.

The list above is really talking just about the coding aspect of the site and making sure that it is search eninge friendly. This is still a significant factor in optimization.

If you want me to take a look at your site, send me the link, and i would be happy to make any suggestions i see.