Sealed Paintjob Question

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Knoxster, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Knoxster

Knoxster Guest

I just bought a new car, and it has a protected/sealed paintjob. The Salesman said I don't NEED to wax or polish it, however I am wondering if I CAN. I don't want to ruin the sealant that was put on the paint, however I do want the mirror finish that a polish/wax can give.

Are there any special polishes I can use (that are available in Canada) on this to not ruin the protectant?

Thanks.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The salesman is an idiot and personally, I'd never let the dealer even wash my car, let alone rape me for a ton of money for a $10 sealant...but that's just me. ;)

Screw the sealant, in 6 months, it's dead anyway; which is why they will tell you that it needs to be reapplied (or refreshed) every so often to keep whatever guarantee they offered you in force. I'd get a quality polish and a sealant of your own choosing (check the stickies) or a carnauba based wax. If you do not polish or wax it all, no matter how good the sealant, airborne contaniments will still end up getting stuck the paint, along with people brushing by your car and scratching it, etc that will eventually leave you with a poor finish on your car.

3. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Knoxster: Dealerships details and paint gimmicks are a JOKE! Don't listen to them about maintaining the appearance of the car.

Use this forum or go to www.autopia.org

Scottwax is a very useful resource in this area. He is a very nice guy and very helpful, not to mention a professional. Check his stickies on the main "Show and Shine" forum. This info will all help you soo much to become an avid detailer.

Good Luck!

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Scott.. do you recommend everyone use a sealant on their paint? Or just people who don't wax religiously?

Also, would you wax on top of sealant or the other way around?

5. Knoxster

Knoxster Guest

Thanks for the information. I guess once the weather here is a little nicer (no snow!) I will give the new car a nice wash, use a cleaner/compound, polish, then wax... Hopefully then the car will have a lasting lustre.

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Please do it now... this is the worst time of the year to be putting off waxing.

7. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

:werd: Clean it up before the bad weather hits :)

8. Knoxster

Knoxster Guest

bad weather has been hitting here for the last few weeks now. I guess I'll have to book Saturday off everything and do the car.

9. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Like Scott said, the sales guy is an idiot. Either that he is an oldie who is used to non clearcoated cars where you needed to detail them alot more often.

Clearcoated cars these days can go alot longer in between details and still look nice but you do need to detail the car if you live in an area with a harsh climate and want the paint to last more than 6-8 years.

Also, you have to detail if you want the car to look better than the everyday car you see on the road.