SEagate vs Western Digital?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by berkut7, Feb 28, 2005.

1. berkut7

berkut7 OT Supporter

I cant choose btw the two companies
    I am looking to get either a WD 200GIG Caviar or Seagate 200GIG
    WD is a respected brand and I ahve trusted it for many years. Seagate I dont know much about
    Make ur choice OT

2. 01000101

01000101 New Member

seagate is meant to be a great company

as for western digital, ive heard both ways. i have a friend who swears every wd drive he's know of, his or other wise, has died. i have another who has 4 that have never had any problems.

western digital drives are usually cheaper. might be theyre cheaper for a reason?

3. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

dude, WD is worth it. Dont waste your money on seagate. Personal experience.

4. Cryption

Cryption Guest

both are great but you should also consider hitachi, they're reliable as hell and much less $$.

Hitachi is all I buy

5. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

I have 3 dead WD's and a Deskstar(hitachi) that say otherwise. One of the WD's made it all of 14 months before failing. Also have a couple Maxtor's that have survived for quite a while now.

No big problems w/ Seagate so far but HD failure is just a way of life so I do a ton of backups. My personal box has 3 Seagates w/ 1 of them reaching a bit over a year now and only time will tell. I still have 5 other PC's running WD's reliably so it is a crapshoot.

6. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Hitachi = IBM = Deskstar 75GXP, the biggest failure in hard drive history.

I've heard their new drives are alright, though.

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

i have a WD that i've been running for 2.5 years with no problems, and is kept on 24/7. BBseries. And another about 1.5 years JB series, and another about 1 year JB series. All in the same comp. no probs, but they do happen. (I am starting to get worried that the BB series has been running too long :o )

8. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

I've got a Seagate 120GB SATA right now it works beautifully. I've heard nothing but good things about Seagate in general, and I find their seek times are always a bit lower than other companies.
    I've heard terrible things about WD drives crashing and just being of fairly low quality in general.

9. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

You're kidding. WD is second in quality to Samsung, and Maxtor is at the bottom of the list in terms of reliability (Although I have heard good things about the OneTouch series).

Surprisingly, I'm running Windows 98 Lite 4.5 Preview Edition off of a 5 year old Maxtor 5400RPM drive with no problems, but it should die any day now. The drive was barely used when it was new, and it sat in the forensics training department of the NYC Police for a good few years as a test unit.

I'm using it as we speak.

10. 01000101

01000101 New Member

western digital second in quality, my ass

never had any problems with my 3 maxtors or my seagate, but i wont touch a western digital

11. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

You are making no sense. Maxtor is bad then its good... Unreliable but after 5 years its still reliable.

Hitachi = IBM = Deskstar 75GXP is correct but back in 2000 it was an excellent drive... What were you like 12 then??? We have IBM's that have been running 24/7/365 since then and they are just as happy as the WD and Seagate's...

This is kinda like the Ford, Chevy and Toyota discussion. Everyone has their opinions of something they do, did, or want to own... Since you mentioned the model on the Western Digital, I would guess your leaning that way. Get the one you want, that way when its not the right one you can only blame yourself.

12. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Dude, this Maxtor sat on it's ass for four of those five years before being used. I rescued it from a horrible fate, that being eventual silverware.

Oh, and by the way, I used to have a 1.5GB WD from 1995. It's still working like it's new, ten years later. My buddy has it.

That thing got heavy use, by the way. Now THAT's a drive!

13. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I only buy WD's (for the time being) and i've never had one crash (owned maybe 4-5 of them)

My dad on the other hand has had 2 WD crash out of maybe 10 he's owned. He also buys Fujitsu (for his laptops i believe) and hasn't had problems.

But i've never gone with a 10K RPM really expensivve drive. I stick with there mid-range 7200RPM 8MB srives, and i just run them on SATA 150 connection. No need for a faster drive if i can't even use the speed of this one lol.

14. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

They're all pretty much the same. I usually choose Seagate though because they have a 5 year warranty. It's been my personal experience that if it doesn't go out in 5 years, it's gonna stick around period.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're a dumbass. You cannot rank samsung above WD. And maxtor is NOT at the bottom!

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

seagate sata drives are great.... and a 5 year warranty is better than a 3 year warranty.

buy the seagate.

17. MrMan

MrMan New Member

I always read threads about one hard drive over another, and of course, the data on the hard drive is usually worth more than the hard drive itself, so when a hard drive goes bad, the results are instantly, I'll never buy this company again. The results are almost 50/50.

Hard drives will fail, if not soon.. eventually. The thing is spinning constantly, meaning moving parts. Think of it like a car engine, except that there's nothing you can really do to maintain the hard drive (like oil change for the car). That's why people make backups.

I have had a Western Digital hard drive that failed on me. I replaced it with a Maxtor and that failed. I replaced it with a Western Digital again. A relative had their WD hard drive fail, and I replaced it with a Seagate.

18. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Jesus fucking Christ, you are such an aggressive asshole! Take your fucking meds, damnit! You make the whole mood of the forum go from civilized to barbaric with just one post, every damn time! I know me, and numerous others are sick of it. This time, I WILL report your next flame, I don't give a shit who it's directed at.

Why the hell do you get so pissed off? It's computer parts, for God's sake! Do those really matter that much to you in life? You need a girl, man, and some Clearasil (I'm in the same boat as you, clearly, but not to THAT extreme!).

I hope you don't speak to your customers like that.

Sure, dude...Maxtor isn't at the bottom :riaa:. Maybe that's why their drives usually last two years and sound like a MarbleWorks playset.

I buy WD/Samsung because of the noise level, and the overall quality. Every Maxtor drive I have used so far is CRAP, besides my father's OneTouch.

Oh, I'm sorry. I meant to say that Hitachi is at the bottom. Deskstar 75GXP anyone?

19. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Buy whatever's cheap and fast and back it up. Never fails. You'll drive yourself insane trying to figure out which drive is most reliable. By the time you could gather enough data, the design has changed and your data is meaningless.

20. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Very true. I mainly buy WD because that 10 year old Caviar drive of theirs is still alive and kickin' in my friend's 98 box.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, it is your posts that bring threads down with idiocy that I can only expect from you.

Because we keep telling you to shut the FUCK up because you do NOT know what you're talking about. Yet, here you are.

I have a girl, she's cute, and I don't have acne... Do you really want to get into this personal arguments? Post a pic of your girl and then we'll talk...

I usually don't, but sometimes it's neccessary. Yes I've said "Get the fuck out", and I will say "What are you doing here?" at least once a week. Assholes are assholes and if you come into MY business then you had better have respect.

Yes, this must be it :rolleyes: You must be speaking from your EXPANSIVE experience on the topic. You must have worked with at LEAST two or maybe even three drives, right? Wow, I wish I could have used that many... :mamoru: [/end sarcasm]

Yes, because you've used so many :rofl:

22. Lychee

Lychee New Member

I have a hd from pretty much every company and honestly from my experience they're all pretty reliable and my machine is on almost all the time. All the WD's i've gotten have all worked well and are still working today but i'm not so sure about the newer ones cause i've heard some bad stories about them. Saw it first hand when i built a comp for my friend in the summer and his 200GB WD failed and needed to be RMA'd. Although they might have remedied the problems now.

23. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

youre all fucking dipshits. wd>seagate>maxtor

24. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

lol...FreeSpace gets mad at Ogre for getting "pissed off" and stuff, then he starts throwing personal attacks. i dunno about you but that's just retarted. jsut ignore Ogre if you don't want to read his comments...it gets annoying when in EVERY thread someone is complaining about him...

25. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

Seagate > All