SDR vs. DDR ram and a second HD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pirate, Oct 5, 2003.

1. pirate

pirate Track | DSLR | MTB

I bought a new Dell not too long ago (Dad insisted on Dell) to replace my crappy 3+ year old HP and I've got a few questions. I'm a computer noob so bear with me.

I had 512MB of ram in the old system and there's already 512MB of ram in the new one. Can I install the 512 out of the HP into the Dell? I want to say I think the answer is no because the Dell uses DDR and the older stuff (~1yr. old) is SDR. Any clarification on this?

I also had a 20GB drive in the old one that I'm interested in adding as a second drive to the 40GB one in the Dell. How difficult is it to do this? I've installed ram, video cards, ethernet cards, etc before but that's essentially plug 'n play. How would I go about setting up the 20GB drive in the new system?

TIA

2. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

i think that the HDD won't be a pain to install, as long as you know your way around the internal drives. about the RAM, i'm pretty sure you cannot because of the difference in data rate, you may be able to, with a performance if it does work, but you shouldn't. for the HDD you'd have to set one to master, and one to slave. there are lots of websites to help you with that. you may want to look into adding a fan if the HDDs are close together. that's all i know

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Can't mix and match sdr and ddr, different number of pins. For the hard drive, do what IndnApocalypse said.