SCSI Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by aonghus, Dec 28, 2006.

1. aonghus

aonghus bsmf

Though its rare, I've run into an issue with a machine of mine that has me using a 6 year old POS laptop.

(Specs are at bottom)
    I attempted to add a second SCSI Hard Drive to the mix, now the bastage hangs at the SCSI BIOS after it has identified the channels in use. The SCSI Controller is integrated on the board, I've tried switching channels (A to B) I've even tried running seperate drives just to see if it'd attempt to boot into the Windows Loading screen. Nada. I've tried brand new cables, brand new terminators, still nothing. I've run one drive forever in Single Ended mode, as device ID 0. That drive with those settings no longer works, despite those original control settings.

Specs Below

Proccessors: Dual Athlon MP 2800+
    Motherboard: Tyan Thunder K7 S2462UNG
    Ram: Corsair Registered Buffered ECC PC2100 DDR / 1GB (512x2 DIMMs)
    Video Card: Onboard ATI Rage 128XL, (for troubleshooting purposes, normally have an Asus Geforce FX7900 256MB AGP Card.)
    Hard Disk(s): IBM/Hitachi Ultrastar 36Z15 15k 18GB Ultra160, (attempting to add a Seagate X15 18GB Ulta160 Drive)

Thats about all the relevant information...

Thanks a lot fellas.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Hold for some info on that.

3. Doc Brown

Ok. I've got the U160 version of that board laying around with a pair of MP2600's on it. I loved that build when I was running it. Adaptec scsi utility ftw.

Here's what I want you to try. Set everything back the way you had it with the single drive. Same channel, same id#, same everything.

Bootup the computer, and hit "ctrl A" when the scsi post comes up.

When it comes up, select "scsi disc utilities" and wait for it to scan the devices.

Make sure the drive shows up on the list. Then hit esc and selcect the
    "Configure/View host adapter settings".

When that comes up, hit F6 to reset the scsi settings to default.

Then exit out saving settings and let it reboot into windows.

Hopefully that will work. If not, let me know and I'll give you something else to try.

4. aonghus

aonghus bsmf

Already defaulted out the SCSI BIOS Settings. That didn't do anything @ 3AM, but now that seems to have done the trick. I sent this board off to Tyan a couple years ago to be RMA'ed, It was the crazy oldschool first release board that had some problems recognizing dual procs. Ever since I got it back its been kind've squirelly.

This board FTW, other than that shitty ungodly expensive WTX PSU.

Thanks again Mr. Brown. I was about ready to throw this shit out the window.

5. aonghus

aonghus bsmf

Forgot to mention, Even though its now working, the Ultrastar is only "syncing" at 40 as opposed to the seagate at 160.

From what I read in the mannual, I think this occurs with older equipment, which doesnt make sense as both drives are Ultra160.

Hmm

6. Doc Brown

I ran exlusively scsi for about the past 4 years until I built my present core 2 duo build. (which I have an adaptec scsi card in, with one of my scsi drives:bigthumb: )

And I can tell you from experience that it is very often the cable and or terminator that makes a drive load at different speeds, as well as older drives.

I think you said you tried a new cable though, so it's hard to say.

Now if you want to add your other drive back in the loop, do this:

Set it to a different id# of course.
    Then go into adaptec utilities again and and have it scan again, just to make absolute sure which number it's coming up as.
    Then go into the "configure/view host adapter settings" again, and this time select the "scsi device configurations".
    Then find that drive number, and disable the setting for include in bios scan (I'm not positive of the wording, but it's the only one that sounds like that.)

Then save and exit, and you should be able to boot up normally off of the main drive.

7. aonghus

aonghus bsmf

I have 2 new cables, just in case one of them is F'ed for some reason, 2 Terminators too. The cables are identical, the terminators are not. The new terminator running on CH. B is an Ultra 4 / 320 terminator, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that they are backwards comapitable?

8. Doc Brown

Scsi has always been backwards compatible.

You can plug an old 50 pin fast scsi drive into your U320 board with an adapter and it will work fine.

9. aonghus

aonghus bsmf

ah, see theres the inexperience coming out. Thats what I thought, just like the various IDE/ATA speeds.

Got it working, but I can't run anything on the IDE channelswithout a BSOD. I think this board is having death rattles.

Thanks a lot Emmet. Really appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

10. Doc Brown

Well, you could always try to pick up a U160 board.

That's one of the interesting things about drive specs.

No drive has ever exceeded the transfer rate of U160 yet.

So your drives would run just as fast.

It might cure the bsod issue, as well. Just a thought.
    You can pick them up cheap these days.

Do you have the most recent bios update for that board?

Also, having trouble with adding hard drives could be a sign of a failing power supply.
    (maybe even the bsod's)

11. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Since you said you were running in SE mode to begin with, if you are syncing at 40MB it's probably because of that. This could be because your older drive is configured for that mode..or because it is not LVD capable (not likely since U160 devices are going to be LVD at least). If the the latter's true, 40mb is the best you can get if you keep both drives on one chain. It is true that SCSI is backward compatible, but an SE bus will drop to the slowest device's speed, bus width, and signaling mode. The nice thing with dual channels is that fast devices can be placed on one and slow ones on the other.

LVD drives/controllers can reach the higher bus clocks (80-320) and (I believe) can negotiate separate speeds for individual devices on the same chain so long as all devices are LVD. Try to get both drives configured for that mode (jumpers?). The terminator is also critical for this. It must be capable of handling LVD signaling or you'll get SE negotiation...or possibly lots of headaches if the bus controller and/or drive microcontrollers get confused. Freezing on bios initialization would be a common manifestation of this.

Good luck.