SCSI Hard Drive for Laptop?!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by perfectgetaway, Sep 7, 2006.

1. perfectgetaway

perfectgetaway New Member

can yuo put a scsi into a laptop? an sites with info would be great

thanks

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

no.

external only, and that'll be through a pcmcia card, and that'll efectivly slow the data transfer down enough to make it not worth the effort

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I'm wondering where it would fit

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Get a laptop-sized Serial ATA hard drive with NCQ, and a laptop that supports NCQ. NCQ is the only thing SCSI has that IDE doesn't have nowadays, at least regarding anything you'd ever use in a laptop.

Background info:

The new SCSI standard, called Serial Attached SCSI, is closely related to Serial ATA such that some of the better SAS controllers can use SATA drives as well.

The SCSI version of NCQ is called TCQ.

5. perfectgetaway

perfectgetaway New Member

thanks for the info guys

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Do any laptops have expansion slots?

7. deusexaethera

They have RAM slots, Cardbus slots, a 2.5" hard drive bay, and sometimes they have an adapter to allow a second hard drive to fit in the place of the DVD drive. Most laptops have a single mini-PCI slot, but it's occupied by the wireless card 99% of the time. I suppose you could try to find a mini-PCI SCSI card and jigger it up to connect to the internal drive bay, but that would involve major surgery -- assuming mini-PCI SCSI cards and 2.5" SCSI drives even exist. I've never heard of them.

8. deusexaethera

Heh...shows what I know. Here's a mini-PCI Ultra160 card.

http://www.globalamericaninc.com/new_spec/spec2.php?id=221

I also got a few hits for 2.5" scsi drives, but they were either pitifully small or the links were broken or the drive wasn't the standard thickness. So I say it's still easier to just get a laptop with an SATA controller and use an SATA drive with NCQ.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yeah no point - SCSI's entire advantage is based on its ability to run multiple drives faster - single drives don't have any advantage.

10. deusexaethera

My SATA suggestion reminds me of a question I've had for a while, that I haven't really gotten a clean, consistent answer on.

Does NCQ require any hardware or software support, or could I plug an NCQ-enabled drive into any computer and have it work like it's supposed to?

11. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

From what I have read, the SATA drive controller also needs to support NCQ for it to work.

12. deusexaethera

I've had people adamantly declare that NCQ absolutely does need hardware support, and other people adamantly declare that it doesn't. Has anybody actually used an SATA hard drive with NCQ, such that they know firsthand what's required to make it work?

13. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

14. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

The drive controller needs to know the requested data could come back in a different order than was requested. You would get all sorts of errors if the drive just started reordering the requests and sending the data back to the controller but the controller was expecting the data to come back in the original order. Things just wouldn't work right.

15. deusexaethera

Hmm. So, between the reassurance and the Seagate whitepaper, it seems that indeed Jolly was wrong when he repeatedly told me that NCQ operated entirely within the hard drive, and that no other special hardware was needed.

That settles that. Now the question becomes, are there any laptops that support SATA with NCQ?

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Jolly wrong?

Is that even possible??? :eek3:

17. deusexaethera

Well...I did feel a slight tremor as I was typing that.

18. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Well, NCQ does sort of operate entirely within the hard drive. The hard drive makes its own determination as to what is the best order for the reads and writes based on the current location of the drive head in relation to the platter. So techincally, different manufacturers could see better/worse performance with NCQ compared to other manufacturers if there are flaws in their algorithms to determine what is the best order for the operations. The controller plays no part in deciding the order of operations. The only thing the controller really needs to to know the drive can reorder the reads/writes and be able to handle data being returned in a different order than requested. If the controller can't handle that, the drive can't use NCQ.

19. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Didn't sun have SCSI laptops for a while?

20. deusexaethera

Which, in short, means that NCQ-capable hard drives need NCQ-aware controllers.