Script that Detects Inactivity? (.Net)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scoob_13, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Does anyone have a script/can point me towards a script that can detect inactivity on a machine and then call a function? I'd prefer .Net, but ANY language would work for my needs.

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

proc, i/o, lan, memory ...

what kind of inactivity?

3. Scoob_13

User inactivity.

Basically I need to launch an app/perform an action when a user goes inactive.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

when a user goes inactive for how long? this sounds like a flawed concept. you should launch your process on an event rather than a non-event. like perform on login, on logout, or some trigger. and warn the user not to interfere.

5. Scoob_13

When a user goes inactive for X minutes, I need to perform an action. To be specific, I'm writing a program that inserts a record into a SQL db for login tracking.

We're wanting to track what time a user logs in (utilizing a login script to run this action), what time they lock their computer (which happens automatically after 15 minutes of inactivity - no way to determine when this happens OTHER than tying into the Windows API that monitors this, and I'm having a hell of a time finding information on this), what time they unlock it (which is noted in the Event Log - I can monitor this programatically with no issues), an what time they log off (utilizing a logoff script).

Basically, we're trying to nail down the times that people are actually in the building, on their computer, and doing work. It may come down to automatically logging people off after 15 minutes, but we're trying to avoid doing that as it'd be ultra-annoying for everyone - especially me since I do a lot of things away from my desk :o

I've got a version that writes to an AccessDB on logon/logoff, but it's too slow, not centrally managed (currently we have a different AccessDB at every branch across the nation - ultra annoying for running reports in a decent time frame since it has to pull a bunch of data across a frame that is already nearing overload), and not as robust as we would like it to be.