Screwed up shackle angles on this custom 4x4 front end???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by hvy55chvy, Apr 18, 2006.

1. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

You be the judge, messed up front leaf shackles? (PICS)

Im looking at buying this little 4x4. It was converted from IFS to SFA. The seller clearly says its not a pro conversion job, but says its straight and solid. Yet, a picture he sent concerns me. It looks like the front leaf shackles are not square to the axle or frame. Look at the original pic and then a cropped version of the pic that i then illustrated to hilight the shackle angle differences.

[​IMG]
    http://www.hvy55chvy.com/ImagesBin/Cars/ShackleLateralAnglesFull.JPG

[​IMG]
    http://www.hvy55chvy.com/ImagesBin/Cars/ShackleLateralAnglesB.JPG

The red lines hilight the funky looking shackles angles while the green show the stock shackle angles. As per my high school art perspective class, the front shackle angles in the picture should be similar the rear if in real life they are both good.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Actually, you posted a picture of the REAR of the truck... Something that was a solid axel from the factory. Furthermore, those are stock leafpacks and stock shackles.

I do not see a problem, here. Are the bushings in good shape?

3. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

^^ need pictures of the front and with the truck on a level surface to really see how it looks. I'd be pretty cautious about a truck that someone dd a IFS to SFA swap too unless I knew them and their mechanicial abilities.

4. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

nevermind.. not the truck i thought it was.

5. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

I realize the picture was taken from the rear of the truck. The rear shackles and springs are stock, minus the big ol' blocks. however you can clearly see the shackles for the front leafs in this pic. Look at the zoomed in picture for a better look. From this perspective i think the angle we see the front shackles should be close to the rear shackles which are ok.
    To me it looks like the front shackles aren't hanging straight down from a left to right stand point. Like the Left shackle is hanging down towards the right and visa versa with the other front shackle. Im not talking about the front to back angle.

Unfortunetly this is the only pic i have to work with right now. I have more pics requested.

6. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

Only reason I could think of why those are angled like that is the rear is under the frame, and the front hanger is outboarded... not sure if it will be a problem or not. Are you a member on pirate4x4?

7. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Now that I look at it and get what your talking about, they are angled inwards. Looks like he didn't relocate the spring mounts on the axle outward to match the shackle mounts on the frame.

Looks like he was going for a SFA swap and lifted truck on the cheap. It's still got a stock 10 bolt axle, blocks, and the poorly done SFA swap. I'd pass on this truck unless it's a real good deal.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay, I see what you mean, now.... It works but its not perfect, as someone already mentioned. I agree with the "pass on it", unless it is a great deal.