SRS Screwed myself over when things started to look up.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZonariAn, Jun 22, 2009.

1. ZonariAn

ZonariAn New Member

I have been unemployed for a few months now. I lost my job after my boyfriend and I bought a house together. Now he is stuck paying all of the bills which he can barely afford due to his crappy job. He drives an hour to work and an hour home only to make 11.50 an hour. I had just recently gotten hooked up through a friend with Best Buy and have already done 2 of my 3 interviews. On the night after my 2nd interview, I foolish decided to go out drinking with my friends. This was just this past Friday, June 19th. Even more stupidly after I left the bar, instead of going home, I decided to go to my friends house via the interstate. Well wouldn't you know, a roadblock on the one exit I decide to take. The officer knew right away that I had been drinking, and I complied cooperatively with everything he had me do. I of course went to jail that night. My boyfriend's truck, which I was driving, was of course, impounded. I am still sitting here in shock that this has happened. It always seems to be the pattern with me. Things start to go well, and then BAM, I royally fuck up.

This is my first ever DUI. I have had nothing on my record for the past 4 years almost. I cannot afford a lawyer. If I do get this job with Best Buy, I can only hope that having this new job will keep me out of jail. I was not so worried about not having a license for a year or so, considering I already don't own my own car. I own a scooter that I was hoping to get a permit for again, to ride to work. I don't see how that's going to happen now. My new job would be 25 minutes away from my house, in the OPPOSITE direction that everyone else I know lives and/or goes to work. My court date is in less than 20 days, and I'm wrecked over this whole incident. I don't know what to do!! I most definately won't have the money to pay any of my fines outright. I know I will have to be put on probation. That's fine. I just hope by then I have a job to be able to afford such a thing. Its starting to look like I'll need to sell my ONLY means of transportation, my scooter. There's 600 of the potentially 1,000 dollar fine.

I'm just so distraught over the fact I was proud that I was finally going to be able to help my boyfriend with the bills, and get my shit back on track.

Is there anyone here who has some experience with a first-time DUI, especially in the state of Georgia? I could really use some advice.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You royally fucked up, the only way you how you can get out of this is by excusing yourself out of this and trying to get sympathy from the judge for your situation.

I would use the following statement.

Your honor , in all due i would like the court and all whom it may concern known that no damage ,nor ill dismay was posed from alleged party upon our American cherished community (fill in name of village) and full cooperation was given to our legislated police officers and still is given to the court of law under your honorable judge's juristiction.

To all whom it is conserned In clarification upon statement linked towards alleged statement of driving under influence it is intrinsinctly important to distinguish the current state of alleged party under the circumstances that are adherent to the situation.

Your honor ,I can only hope you take my dire circumstances in account. I am a hardworking American who has been laid off as the result of the economic misery that has been taking place across America and also has reached my home. I am currently unemployed for several months ,and in these several months i have tried desperatly to get any given job that i could lay my hands on to no avail. I have been financially decapitated and have been stripped off from my possibilities to recover. However, my light and joy of life returned to the news that i would be employed by a new company which would effectivly mean that my house could be paid off, and my relationship with my loved one would remain intact. In this light i had rejoiced and over celebrated to no harm means. And as such i stand here, asking for mercy and pleeing that i will not make such an mistake of whom i understand the full indepth of my wrong doings and apologize from the deepest of my human heart not to make such a judgemental error again as the court hopefully fully understand in this light i would not make again.

From the bottom of my heart (say your name)

I thank your honourable judge and all in this court for taking their precious time to listen towards me and deeply apologize for any inconsiderate display of behaviour from my side regarding this consern.

3. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/432; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

That's pretty rough. I know a couple people that were allowed to drive straight to work/school and straight home. This was in I'll though, but maybe GA does the same thing. They both also agreed to start going to AA and arranged to get rides there...maybe starting that up before you got to court would look good, but I'm no lawyer so I don't know for sure.

4. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

and this is why its a horrible idea to buy a house with your g/f or b/f personally I'd dump your ass if I were him

5. ZonariAn

ZonariAn New Member

I beg your pardon??? We have an outstanding relationship and it is INCREDIBLY rude for you to make such an outlandish statement!!!!

6. ZonariAn

ZonariAn New Member

I probably would never have written something so compelling myself. *sigh* This situation is something that's so unlike me. I feel like a complete ass.

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

You got no job, got a DUI, got HIS truck impounded...sounds outstanding :hsugh:

and buying a house with someone anyone you aren't married to is a horrible idea unless its in one person's name and they alone can afford the mortgage in case you break up and/or lose a job

8. ZonariAn

ZonariAn New Member

We're getting married. No one on here has any room to make such open-ended observations about a relationship they know nothing about. Besides, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Me not having a job is not my fault, first of all. I was laid off. Anyone with a heart in their chest and a brain in their head, like my boyfriend for instance, understands the situation and loves me no matter what happens.

9. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

You got my truck impounded on a DUI? Your ass is grass and outta my house. That's my 2 cents.

Since that didn't happen, I would just look for anything and pay off your fines slowly. Do you have an education? If not, go to a community college and get a real job.

10. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Understandable but still no excuse for the DUI sorry if I was harsh I just have no sympathy for that knowing people that have been involved on the other side of it. A simple phone call can avoid that situation and he could come pick you up. Better do lots of sucking up and try to get any job to start paying the fines its a hard lesson to learn

11. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Look people what's done is done, i know that the general statement in america is that if you do something wrong you're fucked for life, but that's not how you need to look on human beings, we aren't perfect, which means we make mistakes, which means we need not only forgiveness but also to work hard on ourselves in order to improve our former selfs into something better. I hope everyone reading this knows and needs to understand to comment in a constructive way, this lady's life is devastated enough at the moment, no need for her to lose even more ok :hsugh:

12. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

Don't come here asking for "advice" then flip out when you don't hear what you want to hear.

If you want to be coddled, why not snuggle up with your boyfriend who apparently loves you "no matter what happens."

13. Abomb

Abomb New Member

hell yeah. i would dump her ass too. and find a girlfriend with personal responsibility

14. Mulsanne

Mulsanne The Man = Funk Fusion Chaos

I just want to disagree w/everyone else who says "that's rough"

Everything you did was completely in your control and very stupid.

That said you will likely get house arrest or something of that nature and things will be fine in the long run. But damn, how old are you and when are you going to start thinking your actions through?

15. Mulsanne

Mulsanne The Man = Funk Fusion Chaos

this.

Drinking at Bars + Unemployed = Bad News

16. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

I find it incredible rude you got a DUI in his truck. Think about what you did. Seriously.

Grow up. Take personal responsibility for yourself and stop looking for excuses.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  17. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

You can't seriously blame her boyfriend for this? :hsugh:

Not supporting her? It sounds like he is supporting her quite a bit, by her own words no less. :hsugh:

The fact that she isn't my problem has no barring on what I said. I am not telling her boyfriend anything, I am only speaking to her. She needs to grow up and take responsibility for her actions. Yes, she needs to contact a lawyer, but that only solves the legal problem, not the drinking and driving problem or the problem of "screwing herself over when things start to look up."

To solve that problem, she needs to work on herself outside of the law and realize what she is doing is harming herself and her boyfriend. She also stated it was a pattern (self destruction) so there is more to it then just this single act of the DUI.

If she won't admit that it is harming her boyfriend as well, both directly and indirectly, then indeed she isn't trying to solve the root problems as I pointed out but is only trying to solve the legal problems before her of the DUI. Positive reinforcement is great but giving false positive reinforcement does no good to the person. If she takes action and improves herself, then yes, praise should be given. She hasn't done that yet and instead has lashed out on those who question her.

18. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Here is GA's DUI law:

http://www.duiguy.com/firstoffense.htm

http://www.gohs.state.ga.us/duilaws.html

If Best Buy is anything like most employers, they will not hire you when they find out about the DUI. As I said, employers hate DUIs.

They will find out when they screen you for your criminal background if they have not already. I do not know when they do this in the interview process. I assume when they are ready to hire (usually when you take your drug test they also do pre-employment screening such as background checks).

So hire a lawyer to try to reduce the impact of the DUI but your job prospects are not good for as long as the DUI shows up on your record. The cost of the DUI will be quite a bit, it sounds like $300.00 -$1000.00 plus any statutory surcharges and then probably lawyer fees. :hs:

If you can't hire a lawyer, then good luck. I've not heard good things about trying to handle a DUI without one. :hs:

19. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Evidently no body in here has ever gone out drinking, not has their girlfriends/boyfriends. They also appear to be placed in a job situation where their company will never need to do lay off, and the same could be said for their SO. So they sit on their high horses looking down on those who have rough times, and those who have fun in a way that they choose.

My GF is unemployed, and I feel for the TC. Shits rough. But your best bet, would be to spring for an attorny. It may cost money, and you may need yo take a loan, but it'll be worth it.

I'll add more later

20. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

And back.

You people need to seriously look at what you are posting. My impression of people like Bacardi 151 and Gragfarz78 is this mental image I have in my head of you two sitting at home, reading a news paper, when your SO comes home, explains that she accidentally ran over a nail on the highway and blew a tire and you both freaking right the fuck out and dumping her.

She fucked up. Alright. Thats not what is being discussed here. We are all thankful you arent dating her, we get it alright. if I was her BF, yes I'd be pissed. But they are living together. Obviously this isnt week 3 of their relationship. You cant be with someone for a long time, especially if you are living together, and NOT expect some shit to go down.

Anyway. Like i said, get a lawyer. This is your first DUI, so I doubt they are going to drop the hammer very hard on you. Im not familiar with GA law, but thats why you need a lawyer, someone who can give you advice as to what exactly might happen, and what arrangements may need to be taken. I would start there, and even if you end up paying a little more now for a lawyer, you'll pay a lot less in the long run.

21. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

You compare running over a nail on the highway to = getting a DUI? :hsugh:

You can't control running over a nail and getting into an accident. You DO control drinking and driving. Huge difference there on many levels.

and you will note i'm the only one to actually post the law from GA on this issue. :hsugh: So there is no high horse. No one is perfect. That has no barring on what SHE did though. She got the DUI, not her boyfriend, not anyone else. This will fuck up her job search, not her BF, not anyone else. She needs to take ownership of that and work on it besides just getting the DUI itself fixed.

Of could we have. That doesn't mean we drink and drive. It isn't that hard of a concept.

I wasn't talking shit for her getting laid off, that may not be her fault. What is her fault is getting a DUI doing a job search though. She surely won't be employed because of that. Huge difference there between what someone can control, like drinking and driving, and what someone can't control, like getting laid off.

22. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

I was merely commenting on the rational you use to decide when to break up with a SO. Ever heard the phrase shit happens? Millions of people have gotten DUI's. Even more than that have drank and drove. She got caught. Can you honestly say that you've NEVER had more than three beers at a bar than drove home? True. She screwed up. But its not at such a severe level where I believe her BF should break up with her. If you do. Thats on you.

And yes I did notice you posted the law. I'm just not committed to this thread enough to read through it.

23. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

:werd:

This thread is very far from what I'm used to seeing in this forum. She fucked up...we all do at one point or another. She is asking for advice.

Everybody, I'm sure, at one point or another has driven over the legal drinking limit. I'm not saying they were drunk...just above what the law says is legal. She happened to get caught. It's a big fuck up but she will probably learn from it.

As far as being unemployed...you can't control if your company has layoffs and you are caught up in it. And in this economy it is much more difficult to find another job. I was expecting a lot more support from her on here as this is not the offtopic forum. People come in here for advice and help, not to be belittled.

24. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Where did I ever say her BF should break up with her? Other people did, I did not. Don't call me out for something I never said.

25. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

:werd: