A&P Screw ETTL II flash, I'm shooting manual flash from now on.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Mar 18, 2008.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I'm sick and tired of the flash firing at near minimum power because it sees a white shirt or something reflective on somebody. Flash output is all over the place regardless of metering mode used. Situation gets worse when shooting ultra wide and there is a white ceiling.

The things I've been shooting recently that require flash are suitable for manual flash anyway.

As a side note, I still suck at posing people / groups (although I am getting better). I should really stick to sports.

Gallery is not up yet, doesn't matter, it's a bunch of stupid tennis crap none of you would care about anyway. Imagine pics with a properly exposed background and underexposed foreground.

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

you can tell your camera to override the ETTL setting to give you more light.

3. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

But it still functions on the ETTL reading, like (ETTL meter reading +/- X). I'm not going to let the flash do anything thinking from now on. I shoot 95% of stuff in manual now anyway, minus whale add flash to the mix.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

minus whale sell the expensive strobe and get three cheaper ones then.

5. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

It's something to consider. I actually do need another flash. I have been impressed with the 580EX in all other aspects minus the metering. I don't know what people are talking about in regards to the "flimsy battery door cover".

A partially sealed (or fully sealed, I forget) 580EX II with silent recycle (a concern when shooting quiet events) sounds nice though.

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'm 50/50.

The Nikon CLS system is fucking tits. flawless exposure every time, like the flash isn't even there....

Which is great when you want fill flash or whatever...

But when I'm using the flash to drive the picture, I still switch to manual...

I think i'm just gonna buy all sb-600's and poverty wizards so I have more options.

7. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I shot these with 4 SB-600s using CLS. I would say I got them all to trigger at positions I needed them to about 95% of the time using my onboard flash on the D200.

You can see on one of the setup photos where the rear one didn't trigger, but it did for the second setup photo. It was my first time ever shooting with 4 flashes. If you go through the gallery, I didn't edit all of them, only the ones I printed for my studio lighting class, that is why they look like poop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:mb: ettl ftw