Scratch :(

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by TonyMontana135, Aug 3, 2006.

1. TonyMontana135

TonyMontana135 OT Supporter

Hey Scott I had a question for you. My nephews managed to put a pretty long scratch on the side of my car. The car is black and some of the scratch looks like it might be pretty deep while some of it looks minor. Any advice on how to go about handling this? The car is a 97 accord so I really would hate to have to drop money to have this pos painted. Here is some what of a picture..hard to get a good one :(

http://uploadadult.com/img/guest/IMG_1339.JPG

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you the scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernail, it cannot be removed. If it doesn't catch your fingernail and the white is color transfer from what scratched it, a good polish will take care of it-lots of info in the detailing EDU. You can try to touch it up so it isn't as noticable. Repainting a fender right will run you $300-400.

3. TonyMontana135

TonyMontana135 OT Supporter

ouch that sucks. The scratch looks to have been made by the handle bars of a bicycle. Looks like the rubber guards on the ends are ripped and somebody decided to ride down the driveway to close to the car....arggggg

4. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

A skilled touch up painter can wet sand and buff the scratch so it's flat and narrow and then apply a thin line of touch-up paint. Should be 90% the quality of a full paint job, and cost only $100.

Oh shit, you're in Portland. PM me and I can do this for you.

5. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

touchup paint will come off eventually. and even if its the cleanest fill.. its not going to look 90% of the quality of a paint job.

6. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

Ya, sand and buff can make it look a little better, be careful though if you do it yourself, very easy to go through the clear.