Scottwax:

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Astringent, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

What are your thoughts on automatic car washes, parcitularly ones that have that polish or gloss or whatever it is they drip onto your car and rinse off?

I went to one because my car was really dirty and it's cold so I didn't want to hand wash it. But as soon as the water picks up, I need to do the whole hand wash + wax/polish it. Do I need to do anything special to remove whatever polish the auto car wash puts on it? Also, what is the best way to dry the car... chamois, some other compound towel, terry cloth, or water blade?

2. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

I tried to go in one, but they told me I can't cuz my car is too low. :(

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I the choice is letting your car stay dirty or using an automatic car wash, definitely go with the automatic wash.

You don't need to worry about removing whatever wax they spray on your car, it doesn't last very long.

The best way to dry your car is after you rinse it off, remove the nozzle from the hose and reduce the water pressure and starting at the top of the car, let the water run all over the car. As long as you have some wax on the paint, most of the water will sheet off. Then use a terry cloth towel to remove most of the water then make a final drying pass with a microfiber towel (working a section at a time).

You can also use distilled water instead of water from the hose at low pressure because distilled water will air dry without spotting. You'd need at least a couple gallons though because you'd want to flush all hose water off the car for it to be truly spot free.

4. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

:down: to automatic washes. Some of them scratch my car.. :mad:

5. Scottwax

If you only use the touch free ones, you shouldn't have any issues with scratching. They don't clean that well, but it's still better than leaving all that winter grime on the paint.

6. Snowman

Snowman I know the Benzes. OT Supporter

I live in the city so I don't have a driveway where I can bucket wash my car. I go to these self car washes where you spray the water and the soap yourself?

Are these bad for the paint if you use them all the time?

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

It is the kind where you put the quarters in and soap your car up with that brush thing that has soap in it?

8. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I try to go to the spray ones and rinse, then use my own wash mitt and soap and do a quick wash that way. Still get your fingers a little cold, but it's better than just spraying it or using the other auto wahses.

9. Snowman

Yeah they have soap that comes out of the nozzle and a foam brush.

10. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Definately stay away from those. Dude, I've seen people soap up their engines with that brush and big mudder truckers wash down their hick rigs. Besides all the idiots who set the damn thing right on the ground.

In short, unless you think scratches "give your car character" stay far, far away.

11. Scottwax

EMT is right....keep those damn foam brushes as far away from your paint as possible, unless you like scratches and engine grease, etc all over your paint.

Best thing to do it get that Mothers Trigger Wash (the car wash soap you squirt onto your wash pad) and use that instead of the foam brush. Make sure you rinse with the spot free rinse since it is either deionized or uses reverse osmosis to remove minerals, etc from the water.

12. Snowman

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely stay away from that foam brush. But wouldn't the soap from the spray be enough to get the car clean? I will try the Trigger Wash.

13. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Nah, to get your car clean, you'll want to scrub with the brush. There's a lot of shit on your car that can't be gotten with water pressure alone.

14. Scottwax

Don't you mean with a wash pad? Or at least your own brush, which I'd only use on wheels. True though, that water pressure and soap isn't enough.

15. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yeah, sorry, I meant your own brush. I use a brush to wash my car.

16. Snowman

Ok, that Trigger Wash looks like a good product. I will try that out tomorrow.

17. RedDemonSA

RedDemonSA Guest

yeah, when I go to the do it yourself spray washes, I take a pad with me & spray parts of the truck, then go over it with the pad.

Also, is it bad to spray that engine & tire degreaser on your paint? I see people doing that all the time & I wouldn't think that thats a good idea :hs:

18. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I don't know if it's bad per se, but I'm sure it can't be good.