Scottwax swril removal by hand. people cant by machine.does customers have swirl mark

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Jan 12, 2004.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Scott and others on this board. I have been reading info on this board and the other detail board. Alot of the posts deal with removal of paint defects. I have read a recent post,http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31673
    where he has used DACP 2x. The swirls are stil there though, and he took pictres of it. He even used a machine to make the detail easier and less time consuming.

Scottwax and others, Do you ever really remove 100 percent of the swirls, or do you mask them? I remember when working at a BMW dealer my first job as doing details. They had so many cars to do, and they didnt have time to make them pefect. As we know, a glaze is a filler and can be used to hide defects. They used some products to hide the swirls, but they would return after it rained or in a short time.

I dont understand the "secret" to this problem, and never will. I cant believe some people like scottwax can take a black car, that you know has swirls, they all do, and fix it by hand with DACP. Others cant fix it with 2 coats and a machine. What are your guys expierences with swirl removal by hand or machine? 80 percent,90,100 percent swirl free. Swirls are my biggest fear out of the whole detailing aspect.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

It depends on the swirls. Some are deep enough that even wetsanding can't remove them. There is no 100% guaranteed way to remove all swirls you come across. I've had real good results on some and on others, I can barely make a dent.

3. quamen

quamen New Member

So do you let the cutomer know this right, up front or after detail? Cause that must be embarassing if they expect more then you can give them. Ever have a angry customer or a non paying one?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  4. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Most customers don't know what swirls are (well mine at least). They just want a car that is cleaned up and shining. However, of course you have some people who do know what they look like. I agree, you must let them know your limitations before starting in. I have set my details up to cater to those who want a really shiny and clean vehicle and those who want it virtually defect free.

http://mywebspace.quinnipiac.edu/stbusch/detailentail.htm

When doing by hand or using and orbital, I used to get maybe 75% of the swirls/marring out of most cars and I was trying hard. Now, I have a Makita 9227c Rotary Polisher. My winning polishing combo is the rotary, Lake Country White Polishing Pad, and Meguiar's Swirl Free Polish. I do it EXACTLY like Mike Phillips does in the Meguiar's video's on www.bettercarcare.com He really knows his stuff and especially with rotary polishers.

Here's my car before and after with the rotary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    almost looks fake

I have had great success with the 4 vehicle's I have polished up with my new rotary. I have done 2 red, 1 dk. blue, and 1 white car since I have had the rotary and was able to remove 95%+ of the swirls/cobweb effect.

There are limitations but the rotary definately helps you push those limits.

5. Scottwax

If the vehicle has severe swirls that I can look at and know will be a problem to completely remove, I will inform the customer and then work a section to show how much improvement there will be. I've never had a customer at that point tell me not to bother. You have to be upfront with them and let them know that while proper polishing techniques can dramatically improve the appearance of the vehicle, damage like severe swirls, deep scratches, etc cannot always be removed 100%. Once you demostrate that to the customer, they will understand.

6. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

im afraid of rotarys :o

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Use a DA. I'm getting one. :big grin:

8. quamen

quamen New Member

i dont think a da can really remove swirl marks well.

9. Scottwax

It depends. Deep ones, yeah, a rotary is probably your best bet, but if you don't know how to use one properly, you will end up with even more swirls or burnt paint.

If you've never used a buffer, I'd start off with a PC first.

10. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

wanna sell me your da? :x:

11. attomica

attomica Active Member

I'm new to this. Can someone please tell me what "DA" and "PC" stand for?

12. a red heart

a red heart Guest

quite frankly i'd never swirl remove by hand.

da is dual action
    pc is porter cable

13. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Why not? It's fairly easy, and dirt cheap.

14. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

[​IMG]

i got at least 95% of the swirls out by hand. :blue:

15. quamen

quamen New Member

how the hell you do that and what did you use!!

16. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

DACP, swirl free polish, and S100. sexy isn't it? :naughty:

17. a red heart

a red heart Guest

because i can barely get 85% of the swirls out of a lot of cars with my PC on 6 with a yellow pad and appropriate compound. no way id want to do it by hand :hs: