Scottwax: might you tell me what your

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by KingGargantuan, Jul 27, 2002.

1. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

system is for the first detailing of a car?

I read a thread somewhere that you had said you

wash twice
    wax
    polish
    wash
    polish
    wax etc etc...

I'm sure the above order isnt correct but I can't seem to find the location of that other thread.

Could you enlighten me please? Also wondering which products you recommend for a first-time, semi-inexpensive, detailing.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

OK, if you want to start from a clean slate, wash your car with Palmolive dishwashing detergent, it will strip the wax. You should only need to do this once. Here are the steps: wash (you can do it twice, but as you get better at it, you'll only need to do it once), polish and then wax. If you ever put polish on AFTER the wax, all you're doing is wasting your time, almost everything strips wax, including polish.

Waxing is always the last step, the polish makes the car shine, the wax seals and protects the paint. Incidentally, I wouldn't be polishing as much as you do, polishing makes the paint shine by lifting off minute layers of paint. 2-3 times a year is acceptable.

You can find the recommended products in the "product list" at the top of the forum.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Personally, I wouldn't wash a car down with dishwashing detergent unless you need to like with Zainos. Polishing will remove any wax without the detrimental effects of dishwashing soap.

1) Wash the car down with a car wash soap. Make sure you open the doors and get the door jams and the hinges cleaned.

2) Run your hand over the paint once it is clean and dry. If you feel any roughness or a gritty feel, you will need to use a clay bar. Clay Magic is the best I've used that is available through auto parts stores.

3) If you have not waxed in a while, you will need to polish and if your paint has any minor scratches or swirls, you should use a paint cleaner first. Follow with a swirl remover.

4) Use a light polish or glaze to add oils and further smooth the paint.

5) Wax (don't forget the door jams).

6) Use a quick detailer to make sure you get any remaining wax/polish residue off the paint.

4. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

great... :big grin:

thanks for the info!

I do have some minor scratches so I might use that paint cleaner/swirl remover you are talking about.

Need to do some touchup painting as well. :)