scottwax: I need some advice for my parents' cars

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by SnYpR808, Dec 14, 2003.

1. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

My mom drives a 97 525i, my dad drives a 97 740iL. I wanna get my dad some car care/ detailing stuff for xmas. Here's the thing: sadly they don't take great care of these cars. My mom's car has lots of small paint scratches and several dings. The front and rear bumpers are scratched as well. My dad's car is in decent condition but not great. When I'm away at school, my dad does all the washing and polishing of the cars. He doesn't like to spend a lot of time doing this stuff, but I know that if I get him some good quality products he would probably be better about it. Right now he has a bunch of really old products: crappy generic car shampoo that comes in huge gallon bottles, sponges that are falling apart, toothbrushes to clean the rims and these torn ripped shammies to wipe down. He uses zymol polish, but it doesn't really work all that well and as you said it leaves a nasty residue. I wanna spend about $70-100 on some good solid products. He needs to basically start from scratch here. I'm gonna go into the closet where he keeps his stuff and throw everything away (except for the leather care stuff). All he'll have is the bucket and hose. Can you make some suggestions? I was thinking meguiars gold class soap, meguiars clay bar, S100 prep solution, S100 wax, one of those cotton gloves to wash with, an Absorber to dry with, meguiars rim cleaner and tire shine, and a bag of terry cloth rags. I don't know what polish to buy. Am I missing anything here? He'll probably spend about 2 hours at most cleaning each car. I checked the two lists you have posted, but I know he won't use all that stuff. What can I cut out?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Keep the car wash. Any car wash specifically made for cars will work just fine. Get him the claybar from ClearKote, it's nice and big and it's the best I've used. He can use just a regular sponge to wash the car (just pick him up a new one at AutoZone or whatever). Buy him some microfiber towels to dry with.

As far as polish and wax, stay away from the S100 SEPC/S100 combo. It sounds like he doesn't care for his vehicle as much as he should, so use the Poorboy's Polish w/carnauba and the Poorboy's EX Sealant. Both will give you an outstanding finish and protect longer than S100.

If he will be waxing every 3 months or so, stick with the Vanilla Moose / Carnauba Moose combo, I like the shine from that better than the Poorboy's, but it's all about durability.

3. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

Thanks! Aside from ordering online, where can I get the Vanilla Moose stuff? I'm guessing Kragen/Checkers doesn't carry it.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I don't think there are any places to buy it other than clearkote.net.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd get him a quart of Meguiars Swirl Free Polish which you can buy online or at a Meguiars pro distributer in your area (there is a link on www.meguiars.com) and a pint each of Vanilla Moose and Carnauba Moose from www.clearkote.net . Swirl Free is a good light polish that will remove minor scratches and swirls and is easy to use. Vanilla Moose is a glaze that you would use prior to waxing. It leaves the paint real reflective and slick. Carnauba Moose will noticably add depth and wetness to the paint and it lasts about 3 months.

Like EMT mentioned, Poorboy's products will probably last a bit longer since their EX Sealant is a...sealant! Again, I'd get the Swirl Free, then Poorboy's Polish w/Carnauba (basically functions like Vanilla Moose) and the EX Sealant which is the wax/protecting step. www.poorboysworld.com

You also might want to include a bottle of Eagle's 20/20 glass cleaner, a bottle of quick detailer (Clearkote's Quikshine is great!), some foam hand applicators (for waxing) and some microfiber towels (see the stickies).

My Dad wanted the same deal last year. Carnauba Moose wasn't available then so I got him the S100 Paste Wax in place of it. All together, I got him a bottle of Vanilla Moose, S100, a bottle of Quikshine, Eagle 20/20 glass cleaner and 6 microfiber towels. You ought to see his cars now! He's always taken good care of them, but now that he has the right products, they look even better.

This is his 2000 ES300, just after he polished with Vanilla Moose and 'borrowed' some of my Carnauba Moose:

[​IMG]

6. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

hmm...thanks for the advice guys. I checked the sites you mentioned, and unfortunately I can't get anything from meguiars...they don't ship to Hawaii. Looks like i'll just have to see what Kragen has. I guess I can get the rest from clearkote.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Check Meguiars site and see if they have a local Meguiars pro distributer in Hawaii, I'm sure they do. If not, then Meguiars Swirl Remover #9 is a good product.