Scottwax I have a question for you...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Wizard of Poz, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

I know this probably sounds like im trying to jump on the bandwagon and all, but I want to work for myself, not for someone. So Scottwax how did you start your job/business? I wanna start, should I just go to a car dealership or car detailing place? I just need to make some moneyduring the weekend for college

I want to work, gain some experience then maybe quit and be self employed doing weekend jobs only. 4-5 jobs a week just enough for college. Get customers by fliers and word of mouth. How does that sound? Probably get a truck and do jobs at customers home or business. But anyways I would probably need a business license if I go solo, any estimate on how much that would cost? How much would you say all your equiptment cost? I know deionizers arent cheap and equpitment arent cheap but maybe I can save up some while working.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

S E A R C H. All of your topics have been addressed here in the past, and how Scott started has been mentioned within the last week.

3. quamen

quamen New Member

It is alot of work. You can make some good money, but im where your at right now. i graduated college and want to go back for my BA degree but college where i live is mad expensive. I want to go, but student loans ill go into debt forever. So im going to detail this whole spring and summer to pay for college. it is going to take alot more time and energy to say yeah im going to detailing and just think customers are going to flock to you.

You dont need all the equipement to do detailing. Like a ozone generator like ur saying above not many detailers i have met ever had one and dont plan on getting one.

Yes equipement can be very expensive but hey look at scottwax. his results are amazing and he has the bare minimal equipment really. he doesnt have a pressure washer, a water tank, a buffer, a canopy, a generator and look at the results. AMAZING. He works very hard and not many people on this board can touch the magic he has. So yes you can go cheap and just use a normal car like he does and still get great results. It is harder in my opinion scrubbing carpets etc by hand, but it works. With the right chemicals amazing things can happen. I wokred for a detail center and they detailed for the BMW place next to them and the chevy place. no power equipment but great results.

You can go out and spend a few thousand, or a few hundred and get the same results, just depends on how hard u want to work as well as how fast. it can be done, i have to jet but ill list the stuff u need.ttyl
    rich

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd suggest not only doing a search of this forum, but also registering at www.autopia.org and going through the professional detailer's forum. There are a lot of people there just starting out or still new to the business that can also give you valuable tips.