scottwax? do red cars have clearcoats?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by sanjay, Sep 4, 2003.

1. sanjay

sanjay New Member

To scottwax or anyone who knows ---> do red cars normally have clear coats?

I purchased a 97 Vw golf k2 :)greddy: i know) yesterday

Anyways, i was just applying nufinish wax today :)greddy: i know) and i noticed that after i applied it, my application pad was pink! (from the cars red paint i assume)

The cars paint looks okay...why is this happening? and what is a cheap way to make it nice and shiny and last a while without me doing anything but carwashes at the gas station?

[​IMG]

2. joecollins2

joecollins2 Guest

Well, from the pic it looks shiny. That would appear to be a clear coat. Most cars made in the last 20 years do have a clear coat on them. It's more of a protection measure for your paint rather than a way to make it look better.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Actually, I've detailed cars as new as a white 1998 Honda Accord that didn't have a clear coat. Lexus does not clear coat their black paint even now. They feel that using a clear coat inhibits the natural depth of black paint.

sanjay-if the pad turned pink, then you do not have a clear coat and you removed some very light oxidation. Just make sure you polish and wax your car every 3 months and it will stay shiny for years to come.

4. dougfir

dougfir i luf korean grills

hmm... w/o clear coat, is it possible for someoen to wash/polish/wax so much they expose the metal underneath?

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You'd have to polish an absurd amount of time. Waxing doesn't really take any paint off, it's the polish that does.

6. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

:ugh: They still make cars without clearcoat :ugh: I can somewhat understand if it truely inhibits the natural depth, but for the masses, that is not going to be the case, and they will need the protection for when they get their car washed at the touchless every 6 months :ugh:

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

This guy I work with has a 1995 Corsica. He has never washed it since he bought it new in late 1994. He says he used to wash and wax his old car religiously, and it rusted on him. He said he'll never touch this one... :ugh2:

8. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Me ---> :wtcslap: <---- him

:ugh: :hammer:

9. Scottwax

Actually, a single stage paint job should theoretically hold up to abuse and compounding better than a base coat/clear coat paint job, since the single stage paint is as thick as the base coat and clear coat together. A clear coat is very thin and once it is gone, the paint job is history. The single stage paint is thicker so if it was kept away from sun, it would last longer. Problem is, single stage paint jobs do not have the UV protection that is built into clears, so they tend to fade and then need extra polishing. In the end, I think it balances out.

10. sanjay

sanjay New Member

Scott, another question --> i've wash and waxed my car with the nu finish stuff and it looks kinda nice and very shiny.

in the spring i'd like to zaino it, can i use zaino even tho i don't have a clear coat? (i assume i don't)

and if i can/can't use zaino...can i use s100 which you recommend?

11. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Zaino is extremely time consuming, in my opinion, you get a better shine out of the products Scott recommends vs. the shine you get from Zaino (my friend swears by it). Just my $.02.

12. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Thanks for the explination :)

13. Scottwax

I guess it is up to you to use what you want. You have to make sure your paint is perfect prior to use Zainos since it is a very clear type of protection that will magnify any defects, and if your paint begins to fade underneath, you will have to use a strong polish to bring it back then go through the whole initial Zaino application.

What I would do it polish the car with Meguiars Swirl Remover #9, then again with Vanilla Moose, then Meguiars Hand Polish or Machine Glaze #3 (both are easier to use than #7) and top with S100. After that, every 3 months I'd use HP or #3 and S100, every six months I'd begin with Vanilla Moose and once a year, I'd go through the whole process again. If you do, your paint will look wet for years to come.

14. slipangle

slipangle i like girls with firm tofu

WTF?? Does this mean Lex black paint is no good for waxing? (for an IS)
    If its ok, what do you recommend?

15. Scottwax

No, this doesn't mean a black Lexus is no good for waxing, it just means you probably will need to polish and wax it more often than if it was clearcoated to maintain the best shine.

Check through both product lists. That should give you a good start on what products you may need.