Scottwax appreciation thread (a good test of Scott's new broadband setup) :)

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by El Slotho, Jun 28, 2005.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

What's up dudes.

Cliffs: Scott taught me how to detail last season on this forum and now here are pics of the cars I've done so far this summer, starting with a true "test". :big grin:

I doubt anyone remembers my thread last year where Scott instructed me in no small detail on the best round of products for my car, along with their specific application. I had decided to forgo the usual Zaino process that I had used for the prior three years, and after Scott's tutelage my car never looked better. Since I am a generous dude, I was then able to help all of my friends out last summer to the tune of about 15 cars in total, at which point I became proficient enough with the PC, and being able to judge which products were needed for the proper restoration, to help bring business to my friends' newly opened BMW specialty shop as a side-job "hobby" that I immensely enjoyed. :big grin:

With the summer season well underway, I thought I would drop in and show off a few instances where I have been able to help a few friends out for the 05 season. I plan on adding more to this thread over the season as I get my hands on more cars, so I will start with this:

1. 700 whp ICS Performance M3 Turbo

So bad. I'm talking fucked. The car had no expense spared on it power-wise, suspension-wise, or interior-wise, but no one seemed to have given a shit about it EXTERIOR-wise. Here is the before pic:

[​IMG]

Car:
    Poorboy's SSR 2.5, orange light-cut pad, PC set 5/6 depending on the panel.
    Klearkote's Vanilla Moose, white polishind pad, PC set to 5
    Poorboy's EX-P hand applied/removed

Wheels:
    Wenol Red, two coats
    Wenol Blue, two coats
    Blue Magic Billet Alumin polish
    All hand-applied, worked into the metal, and removed.

Finished pics, which suck because they were taken in the dead sun on an extremely hot day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come. :big grin:

2. El Slotho

[​IMG]

Our Jeep that we picked up was in rough shape. It is a 96, and there are enough severe marrs in the paint that there really isn't any "saving" it with detailing products, but I have wanted to attack the paint regardless since we picked it up at the beginning of the year, and now I had my chance. Since this is the winter/beater/whatever, I didn't really want to throw the whole cut cleaner/polish/Vanilla Moose/EX-P/ etc process at it, so I figured I would mix it up and see what resulted.

The majority of the time on the Jeep was spent with Poorboy's SSR 2.5 on a yellow cutting pad with the PC set to 5. I could not have been happier with the results. This was the first time I had used SSR 2.5 to go aggressive, and the results were extremely satisfying. The paint was clean and clear, most of the smaller scratches were gone and the heavy ones were subdued substantially, and there was even a surprising gloss left behind that I did not expect from a product that has the word "compound" on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above is after the SSR 2.5 - and really is proof that preparation is critical to the final shine. While the hand-applied and removed NXT that came next did add to the gloss and overall shine, it also nicely subdued a lot of the remaining scratches along with giving the paint a deeper, and more slick/wet look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. El Slotho

[​IMG]

Einszett Paint Polish, white polishing pad, PC set to 5
    Vanilla Moose, black finishing pad, PC set to 5
    EX-P Hand applied/removed

Pure loveliness on Arctic Silver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:bowdown:

Awesome details! The Jeep is very impressive. I thought the first pic was an after since it looked pretty decent...until I saw the real 'after shots'! You do really excellent work!

BTW, the new version of EX w/carnauba is about as close to Souveran in appearance as you can get.

BTW2-page loaded extremely quickly. According to Comcast, I can get up to 6MB/sec download speeds.

5. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

Great work man. :bigthumb:

6. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

OMG Scott's on Broadband now? :eek3: Check my post in C&B on autopia I posted a week ago then :x:

7. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

EXCELLENT work!

That Bimmer turnaround should go on your website homepage. How long did the rims take? They didn't look like fun.

8. El Slotho

Thanks Scott! I have more coming as well. I really do enjoy the restoration process to the point where I almost get dissapointed when friends with cars in good condition ask me to help them out. :big grin:

This one took some work with the SSR 2.5, but once the GEP and Souveran were applied, the owner kept going on and on about how he couldn't believe it was the same car:

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love Souveran. I had always wanted to try it out, but its expense always put me off, and it's not like either Natty's or S100 exactly suck], but I have to say the Souveran is pure sex on a black/dark colored car. I can't wait to try it on something red. :big grin:

Thanks man!

They were definitely the anti-fun. To do it right I had to hand-polish between every one of the bolt fasteners during each application of the product, which took about 1.5 hours per wheel given their crappy condition. Then I had to figure out WTF to do with the centers. which were anodized aluminum, but were so badly oxidized that they had become a sort of hard-rubber material.

So I dressed them up with Zymol vinyl dressing, and from what I have been told, they still look like they have been freshly painted. :rofl:

Just saw the location - you're in Hamden? I think that's right near where I moved in North Haven. :big grin:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  9. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

So we are free to post high-res detail shots now that Scott is in the 21st century. :big grin:

10. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Slotho: In East Haven now...

11. El Slotho

Ok. This car needed help badly. Recently aquired by a friend of mine, this Volvo was ten years old, was owned by his stepmother for eight of them, and supposedly the car was never waxed, and washed "maybe once a year." The paint looked the part - heavily oxidized and dull, I actually took the thing to the spray bay and took the damn brush to the paint (which on any other car would have been the biggest no-no ever) to scrape off the considerable dirt, filth, and embedded grime.

After the car wash and brusho de scratcho extremo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can almost see something resembling a reflection. :big grin:

Almost all of the rest of the day was spent smothering the car with Poorboy's SSR3, working the product to dust on a yellow cutting pad with the PC set to 6, and then revisiting each panel multiple times until the gloss and lustre started being restored to the car. I actually used a half a bottle of SSR3 on the thing!

In the end, my diligence was rewarded:

[​IMG]

Gloss! Then came the easy part.

Vanilla Moose on a polishing pad, PC set to 5
    EX-P hand-applied and removed

Results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Considering the initial condition and the fact that the car is silver, which is tough to show true "deepness" even with super clean paint, I could not be happier.

12. El Slotho

Came out great. I used the same process that I am using on my car for this season, but that I only got halfway through due to the car once again fniding itself on a wrecker on its way back to ICS. But enough about that.

For this 98 M3 I used Poorboy's SSR1 for the prep stage, and something new for the polish/glaze step - Blackfire's Gloss Enhancing Polish. I really like this product. The Blackfire application left a slicker, wetter, and deeper look than the Vanilla Moose/EX-P combo, with all of the hammeringly clear reflection of the final EX-P layer. Comparing the Blackfire to Vanilla Moose, I found that it was not as versatile as the VM in that it is ABSOLUTE DEATH TO BLACK MOLDINGS. If you thought EX-P was bad, but the Blackfire is the worst, and that is a sharp contrast to Vanilla Moose which can be used as a molding dressing and window cleaner. :sad2:

I then finished by adding a coat of EX-P as sealant/topper - However, I honestly think I liked the raw Blackfire look better, but the car still looked absolutely amazing for a silver car that is tough to get deep reflections out of the paint.

Pics:

[​IMG]

After SSR1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the Blackfire application
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After EX-P
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

damn that Volvo looks great!
    (I used to own one, a n/a 850, I miss it :hs: )

14. Atheist

Atheist oh, hi OT Supporter

Wow -- Amazing work!

15. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Well I'm kinda new at this let me know what you guys think...
    oh for full high res shots check out
    http://www.frequencyproducts.net/images/Jeep/

But here goes, sorry no before shots but I'm considerign selling my jeep so thought I'd make it look good for a photo-op
    Color is teal seems kinda hard to bring out a really really deep shine, I'll be doign my g/f's car silver :eek3: and my dad's dark blue this weekend to see what else i can do

Here is my arsenal of supplies
    [​IMG]
    Now onward to the jeep...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one is my favorite shot b/c you can see the horizon off the fold of the hood and i think it looks sweet
    [​IMG]

16. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Frequency-the products you have are about as good as you can get off the shelf. The Jeep looks great!

17. Frequency

Frequency New Member

thanks, i'll post before and after shots of the other cars im doign this week, been doign my car for awhile now been getting better but now i wanna test my skills else where