Scottwax a question or two

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by k270, Jun 30, 2004.

1. k270

k270 Guest

I detail my car every once in a while(Meguiars gold class car wash, meguiars clay bar, meguiars polish, meguiars gold class wax). Why is it bad to clay, polish, and wax in the sun(I don't do this, just curious)? Do you need a electronic buffing device to make your car look good? I use elbow grease across the board and I must say my car looks good, would it look better if I had a electric buffing device?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Hot paint can dry out waxes very quickly which makes them more difficult to spread. If working in the sun can't be avoided, Clearkote and Poorboy's products work well in the sun. American Shine Carnauba also works well in the sun.

www.clearkote.net
    www.poorboysworld.com
    www.americanshine.com

You can do excellent work by hand but for most people, a quality (as in not a $20 buffer at Walmart) buffer can polish paint more quickly, deeply and evenly than by hand. In addition, you can usually go with one step and a more mild polish using a buffer to get the same polishing effect that would take two steps and a moderate polish followed by a light polish.

3. k270

k270 Guest

Thanks for the info. Any recomendations for a decent but inexspensive buffer.

4. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Porter Cable 7424 or 7336 is the only way to go :) (well besides the cyclo and rotary).

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

You can use any Random Orbital Sander that can take a Hook-and-loop pad. Adjustable speed is also nice.

I personally use a DeWalt DW443. More expensive than the PC but I've always had good luck with DeWalt tools. It's also got a slightly larger motor than the PC. I just use the same pads that people use on the PC.

6. k270

k270 Guest

Thanks everyone. Your Awesome!

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Right, just as long as it isn't a cheapie $20 Pep Boys buffer since they just don't have the power to be effective.

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Exactly... So, just run to Home Depot and get yourself a Random Orbital Sander... can polish the car and refinish some furniture as well... lol