scott wax and others, i need advice *pics*

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Orkin Yards, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards 5.9 Limited, have you driven one lately?

Ok I am getting really frustrated with my jeep and its state of cleanliness and i need some advice....

It is a 1998 Jeep Grand and both of my jeeps have had shitty paint, basically i clean and clean and it just doesn't get like i wish it was...inside and out - the trim on the inside just doesn't clean up, and the paint on the outside shines but has all kinds of shit in it

i've done the clay bar (not recently but have done it) and waxed and all that, but none of the imperfections disappeared when i did that....

so do i just need to get some better products and equipment to dean with? or should I take it to a pro and let them do something that I can't or what?

I just get so agrivated because I spend a day cleaning and it shines afterwards but up close really doesn't look that great...maybe i just need better STUFF and some advice on techniques....any advice is good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

notice in the last picture that my paint is starting to bubble - the paint on the back hatch is already pealing off near the license plate

2. pl_silverado

pl_silverado OT Supporter

looks like you need a good buffing.

I would have the car wetsanded with 1500 grit, than 2000 grit again and then buffed using rubbing compound. After rubbing compound use machine glaze. Your car will look amazing afterwards.

Get a good DeWalt buffer, and 3M Rubbing compound and machine glaze, with some good foam pads.

3. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

You must think cars look better without a clear kote

4. Orkin Yards

what is the process of wetsanding exactly? how do i do it with out taking off my clear coat

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you do the job right, you can do wonders with wetsanding and buffing. It isn't a job for the novice though.

--------------------------

Orkin Yards-what products and techniques are you using now? It is hard to give you direction without knowing what you've been doing thus far.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

wet sanding isnt that bad just rember if you screw it up the car will need a repaint

teh bubling on the trim will only get worse these can be reapainted but teh odds of them matching arent verry good

to me it looks liek you need a fairly agressive polish a swirl remover and a wax

and some shoes

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:rofl:

8. Orkin Yards

when i first got the jeep about a year and a few months ago i did clay bar and then 3 step meguiars

since then i've just been washing it with usually rainx self dry but sometimes something different

9. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

yeah teh feet scared me too :eek4:

those stains in the painted part of your rear view mirrors are bugs that dried into the paint, make a ritual to wash the car as fast as possible after a long highway trip.

10. Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons OT Supporter

start with 80 grit....

11. Orkin Yards

how much could i expect to pay someone to do this job for me, and not starting w/ 80 grit

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

80 grit? What are you doing, sanding a deck? GTFO. :o

13. Scottwax

If you are working by hand, Meguiars DACP is as aggressive as you can go. Probably DACP > #80 Speed Glaze > Vanilla Moose > wax or sealant.

14. Orkin Yards

is this all stuff i can get at a store or is there an online place that it is better to order from, and is there a product that is better? i always here about s100 or something and various other product that you have to order

15. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

The products Scott suggested will get the job done just fine. MOst of those items will be difficult to find locally, you will have to get them online. Search, there's been a few threads about where to get stuff online that's recommended here.

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

its pricy to wet sand i charge 200-300 simply becaue if i screw up i have to repaint the car

17. R6EXTERRA

R6EXTERRA New Member

that is your first problem.....lazyness...sorry to burst your bubble. RAINX, and letting it dry on its own:nono: I always wash my vehicles by hand and dry in the garage out of the sun. I use Zaino on my P-car and it works wonders. However, I have no problems too deal with because my paint looks real nice to begin with.

Definately do not wax over that :nono: ....it will seal everything in and then it will be a super bitch to get fixed.

I would say you need a real good wash and dry. These are the products i use below. :x:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino

Zaino is different from all other products I have used. This MUST go on in the sun. This is NOT silicone based which must be applied in the shade. You want your paint as HOT as possible before applying.

Z1 will take all the crap off your car....it works awesome. It will dry to a haze insatantly. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-1&Category_Code=Zaino

You can apply Z2 to you car which seals everything in. This application CAN go over the first....without removing the first application.

The more applications of Z2 the better. And yes you have to remove Z2 before applying another coat. NOTE: Please make sure there are NO bug spots of crap on your vehicle. This will get locked in....then you will need to clay bar the whole truck. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-2&Category_Code=Zaino

Last but not least is the Z6 Ultra clean gloss enhancer spray.
    http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-6&Category_Code=Zaino

Make sure you get applicators for each process.

This kit cost me $60.00 cdn.

The best I have used on my BLACK Porsche. Goodluck!!!!:bigthumb:

Jeff

18. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:eek3: Ibscott

19. pl_silverado

pl_silverado OT Supporter

wetsanding doesent take off the clearcoat if done correctly. if someone fucks up and starts wetsanding using 320 grit paper....no shit there wont be clearcoat left, lol.

Dont tell me that wetsanding a car will take a clearcoat right off. I have been doing this for the last 7 years, never had a problem.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  20. Scottwax

R6EXTERRA- the problem is, Zaino won't correct his paint problems. He is going to need to do some serious buffing first. Then, with Zaino, you would have to then wash the truck down with Dawn or an alcohol/water solution since Zaino won't adhere to the oils in most compounds and polishes. BTW, I like the oils in other products, gives the paint a wetter look and a lot more depth. Believe me, I've seen enough Zainoed cars to know that while they may be super shiny and reflective, the paint doesn't look very deep. To each his own though. If you like the look on your car, I won't try to change your mind.

....however, I will take the Pepsi Challange with the products I use against Zaino any day. ;)

21. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

more cola drinkers prefer RC cola in blind taste test

22. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

This is my favorite part of Zaino. :unlimitedlayers:

23. R6EXTERRA

R6EXTERRA New Member

Scott,

I agree with you about him getting his truck perfectly cleaned before hand (whatever it takes). I have used so many different products its crazy. My last set which I was really liking was the Meguirs products (silicone based). As you learn more...you change your mind. When my friend hooked me onto Zaino...I was like WOW. I am sure as a professional, you have the opportunity to experiment with great products. I am not docking what you do. I am explaing what works for me.

For an everyday person....this works for me. And I don't need an orbital too make my car look amazing. It definately helps to have a great canvas to start with.

Anyway...I am going to stick to my Zaino till I run dry.....and maybe then I will experiment with some of the products you mentioned.

Jeff

24. R6EXTERRA

R6EXTERRA New Member

I am a coke fan.....and can tell the difference at any time....heheheheeheh:)