Scott this is my last post in here for a while once you help me here

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Renegade, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Alright here we go:

I just bought a microfiber wash mitt and 5 16x16 microfiber towels for $26.

These are the products I currently have

S100 SEC
    S100
    Scratch X
    3M SMR
    Turtle wax leather conditioner
    Turtle wax vinyl conditioner
    Zaino Claybar
    Zymol Car Wash
    Microfiber mitt and towels
    100% cotton towels.

I have looked at your tl's that you have detailed and i am stunned. I dont know why I cant achieve the shine.

First off, my car is 1 year old and has always been kept in good condition. I finally got Meguiars Scratch X to work correctly, and for some reason it gets rid of fine scratches but also the swirl marks. I have not used the scratch X on the rest of the swirls yet. At one point of time I want to start from the beginning.

Is this basically what I do:
    First use dawn to strip wax? (or what else)
    Then use Zaino claybar, question is how do you use the claybar correctly if you do not have any lube, what lube can I use.
    Use Meguiars Scratch X on whole car (apply with cloth applicator and remove with microfiber towel)
    Then heres where the real questions are:
    After I apply the SEC, how long do I wait on each panel until I buff it off.(Im talking like time, seconds or minutes, I live in Florida so its always real hot)
    Ok now the car is super clean with no swirls and I just used the s100 SEC to give a polish, should I use the clearkote vanilla moose or no.
    Assuming we skip the vanilla moose then its time for S100. After I apply the S100 its hard to see on the black car and it does not really haze (am I putting on too little or just right). Then time wise, how long do I wait until I buff off that panel (time as in seconds or minutes). I think today was a failure cuz the car looks the same after the car wash and after the s100 process. I guess I buffed off the wax to early. Do I need to press the wax and polish on hard. By putting on multiple coats of caranuba wax does it enhance the shine? Lastly, When do I use the s100 SEC after I use it the first time? I cant thank you enough for the help so far. I hope you can answer all my questions and I think this will also be useful for others people knowledge. Also are any of the products I have bad or do i need to add some more. Thank you!

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Scratch X is not really meant for use as a deep cleaner for you paint. You need a product like Meguiars Swirl Free Polish or #9 Swirl Remover. You will be amazed at the clarity either product will give the paint. You can use either S100 SEC or Vanilla Moose, or both if you want. Use S100 SEC first if you use both products because VM does contain wax.

S100 Paste Wax is wipe on, wipe off, just like it says in the instruction book. I think you just have not cleaned the paint well enough by just using Scratch X.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You can use a capful of car soap mixed in with a spray bottle full of water for the clay lube. Also, there's really no need for a Dawn wash since you'll be usng a clay bar and a polish. Both of those will strip any wax you have on your car.

4. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Ok skip the clay bar. First I should go over the whole car with Swirl Free Polish(my trunk has some medium scratches should I go with DACP), then use the S100 SEC (is that just wipe on wipe off too). Then do you suggest putting vanilla moose on top of that? Then just apply the s100 wax and instantly wipe off. Is there any other step I can do just to make sure the car looks great. So basically yesterday I just did the S100 SEC by applying it on one panel and then instantly wiping it off, and did one coat of S100 wax doing the same thing. I wasnt really impressed because the shine looked the exact same as before. Is it because I had 5 coats of Zaino previously on? Also the problem with all the scratch removers I tried to use was I put some on in the heat, and also I didnt give it long enough to haze over.

Is there any problems with turtle wax leather conditioner and turtle wax vinyl conditioner, they work well for me I think. I got preforated seats and the liquid never gets stuck in those little wholes.

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Do the fine scratched areas with DAC/P (do the whole car, it won't hurt anything), follow with Swirl Free Polish. Then use S100 SEPC OR Vanilla Moose (one or the other), now it's time for the S100.

I really don't have any experience with the Turtle Wax products you mentioned.

6. Renegade

Renegade New Member

alrite last question about all this stuff for now, so the S100 SEC and S100 wax is just wipe it on and then just instantly buff it right out and it gives it enough time for the wax to work this way? Does applying multiple coats of the S100 enhance the shine. Thanks EMTfirefighter for all your help as well!

7. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Do a panel (ie a door) at a time. You don't want S100 to fully haze. I haven't heard layering S100, doesn't really help. But if you do, you need to wait a day or two.

8. Renegade

Renegade New Member

a day or two, i thought u can just do 3 coats right after another and thats it for teh day.

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I noticed a couple of problems with what youve got going.

Letting stuff haze.

DONT!

Scratch-X,DACP, S100 SEPC, and S100 wax, do NOT need to haze.

Most all of the products are designed to be a apply, wipe off process.

The wax doesnt have to "do its job" or "set in" or anythign like that. Once you put it on, its on...thats it.
    Thats why everyone recemends a nice thin coat, cause any excess you put on there will jsut get wiped away when you buff....which is wasted product.

Seconedly, are you appying in a <----> motion, or a @ motion? You havent said, i just want to make double sure we arent swirling it on, but applying it on.

Also, make sure when you use the S100 SEPC, that you apply decent pressure and really work it in. The more you work it in, the more the abrasives do their job, and the better the shine you will get. Same also applies for #9 and DACP.

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Its best with Carnuba waxes to set for at least 18 hours. It give teh wax time to cure, and evaporate some of the moisture out of it...this give you a better shine, and a better finish to bodt the seconed alyer of wax to.

With S100, after two coats, you preaty much cant tell a difference.

11. Renegade

Renegade New Member

im applying everything not side to side but vertically. Are you saying with DACP and stuff just apply it on and then instantly wipe off?

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

That's correct, applying a second coat a few days later will give good results or so I've heard. One coat is good enough for me.

13. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You should be using a back and forth motion, like the way the wind flows over your car.

14. Scottwax

With DACP and Swirl Free (or #9), you have to work them into the paint until they look nearly clear and dry, then buff immediately, especially with DACP because if you let it sit and dry on it's own, it practically welds itself to the paint.

S100 Paste Wax is wipe on a panel, then immediately wipe off.

15. Renegade

Renegade New Member

ok got it on the paste wax, on the s100 pre cleaner i have to work it into the paint a little, then wipe off immediately. So your not supposed to do multiple coats one after another, i always use to do 3 coats of zaino each time. For example on the hood if I was to stand straight in front of it do you mean to wax it side to side or vertically meaning up and down. For the side panels side to side(horizontally) or up and down (vertically). Alright after this post I should be set, and i cant thank you and scott enough for helping me out. Scott-you think I can achieve a better shine using the DACP, swirl Free polish, S100 SEC and paste wax then I achieved with Zaino. I hope so, that red acura cl and blue tl were amazing, i hope its not the camera playing tricks on me.

16. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

On the hood it would be up and down, on the side panels it would be back and forth, just like the way the wind flows over your car.

17. Scottwax

With regards to Zaino vs DACP, SFP and S100, you will get a deeper shine, not necessarily more reflective. Many people have commented that the S100 twins look like Zainos with depth since they also leave a very reflective finish.

According to the Guru Reports wax test, they got their best results waxing by going front to back over the horizontal surfaces and up and down on vertical surfaces. In my own experience, if the paint surface and your applicator (foam pads work best for wax) are both clean, then it really doesn't matter what direction you apply wax in.

Carnuba waxes tend to need about 24 hours to fully cure before adding another coat. The general opinion seems to be that 2 coats of S100 are sufficient for maximum shine and gloss.