Scott or anyone, ever run into the dealer sticker eating itno the clear coat?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by thomor25, Jul 23, 2005.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

I took the dealer sticker off my car today and the sticker ate through the clear coat.

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

You're getting color on the pad when you buff the area where the sticker was or is there just an obvious edge where that clear looks lower? Or does the paint under the sticker look a different shade, because that's common if you leave the sticker on there too long.

I just spent two days wetsanding a truck where we took the factory pin striping and stickers off and the clear under it was lower than the rest of the paint. There was an obvious edge. Wetsanded, compounded, polished and waxed. Looks good as new now.

3. BeniBoi09

BeniBoi09 New Member

Down here in Florida after a few years the sun fades around it and can be noticable... happened to my moms accord.. looks like shit now but half the letters came off so i was forced to take the rest off for her.

4. thomor25

I can run my nail accross it and feel an edge and the edge is bumpy like I'm running my nail accross sand paper. The edge was lower, I took off the accord emblem fine and took the sticky stuff off fine and I can see a slight fading but other then that on the other side of the trunk the clear is gone. I took the dacp on the buffer to it for like 10 mins trying to remove it with no luck.

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Sounds like somewhat the same thing I dealt with on that truck. Only way I'd say to remove it is wetsanding. Trying to compound something like that out I'd consider more risky than wetsanding.

6. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

remove the adhesive with lacquer thinner and cotton towel. buff to a shine therafter. attempt this before wetsanding

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Agreed.

Next time you remove a badge, hit it with a heat gun or hair dryer then use dental floss behind the emblem and against the paint to remove it.

8. thomor25

it was actuall viynl and not a badge. It was like one of those thick 3m vinyl stickers that was cut out, the adhesive is removed and the area has been buffed it just needs to be wetsanded now.